Contrapositive proof of irrational relations

In summary, if a and b are integers, then k = 7a - 10b is an integer. Since k3 and 125b3 are integers, x = k3/(125b3) is rational. However, x was assumed irrational, so there is a contradiction.
FelixHelix
I'm confused with a question and wondered if anyone could help explain where I need to go...

let x ε R. Prove that x is irrational thenI'm confused with a question and wondered if anyone could help explain where I need to go...

let x ε R. Prove that x is irrational then ((5*x^(1/3))-2)/7) is irrational.

I've learned that this is a proof by contrapositive so set ((5*x^(1/3))-2)/7) to be rational and hence a/b with a,b ε Z and b ≠ 0, and there for x is rational.

But I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I rearrange to find for x? x = ((7a - 10b)/5b)^3

But this is still raational isn't it? Where is the contradiction?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Call that big expression y, and solve for x. If y is rational, what does that tell you about x?

I thought I did solve for x. If y is rational then x is rational but where is the contradiction? I don't see

Ah, I missed that step in your initial post.

Remember that contradiction is different from contraposition. For contraposition, you're actually already done.

Contraposition takes advantage of the fact that a->b is equivalent to (not b) -> (not a).

You showed that y is rational implies that x is rational. Therefore, you've shown that x is irrational implies y is irrational.

FelixHelix said:
I'm confused with a question and wondered if anyone could help explain where I need to go...

let x ε R. Prove that x is irrational thenI'm confused with a question and wondered if anyone could help explain where I need to go...

I've learned that this is a proof by contrapositive so set ((5*x^(1/3))-2)/7) to be rational and hence a/b with a,b ε Z and b ≠ 0, and there for x is rational.

But I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I rearrange to find for x? x = ((7a - 10b)/5b)^3

Thanks

the rational numbers are closed under multiplication,division, and addition.

FelixHelix said:

Thanks

by assumption a, and b are INTEGERS, with b non-zero.

well if a and b are integers, then surely k = 7a - 10b is also an integer.

thus k3 and 125b3 are also integers, and moreover, 125b3 ≠ 0.

thus x = k3/(125b3) is rational.

but x was assumed irrational, contradiction.

1. What is a contrapositive proof?

A contrapositive proof is a type of mathematical proof that shows the validity of a statement by proving its contrapositive. The contrapositive of a statement is formed by negating both the hypothesis and conclusion of the original statement. If the contrapositive is proven to be true, then the original statement must also be true.

2. How is a contrapositive proof used to prove irrational relations?

In the context of irrational relations, a contrapositive proof is used to show that if a number is not rational, then it must be irrational. This is done by assuming the opposite, that the number is rational, and then using logical reasoning and facts about rational and irrational numbers to arrive at a contradiction. This contradiction then proves that the original assumption was false, and therefore the number must be irrational.

3. What are some common examples of contrapositive proofs in irrational relations?

One common example of a contrapositive proof in irrational relations is the proof that the square root of 2 is irrational. Another example is the proof that pi is irrational. Both of these proofs use the contrapositive to show that if the number is not irrational, then it must be rational, leading to a contradiction.

4. What are the benefits of using a contrapositive proof in irrational relations?

One of the main benefits of using a contrapositive proof in irrational relations is that it allows for a more concise and elegant proof. Instead of having to go through every possible scenario and case, a contrapositive proof only requires the negation of the original statement and logical reasoning to arrive at a contradiction. This can save time and effort in proving the irrationality of a number.

5. Are there any limitations to using a contrapositive proof in irrational relations?

While contrapositive proofs can be effective in proving irrational relations, they do have some limitations. In some cases, the contrapositive of a statement may be difficult to prove, making it challenging to use this method. Additionally, not all irrational relations can be proved using a contrapositive proof, so other methods may need to be used in those cases.