The form of a squared integer

In summary, the square of any integer is in the form of 4n or 4n + 1. If you have a sequence of squares, you can find the next one by using the successor rule.
DEMJR
I want to prove that the square of any integer is in the form of 4n or 4n + 1.

I know that when we square any integer greater than 2 the result will be either divisible by four or four divides into the integer and leaves a remainder of one. How would I begin proving this in the most elementary of ways? I just need a boost, not the answer please. Thanks for all your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DEMJR! :smile:

Hint: base 4 :wink:

(2n)n = 4nn = 4m.
(2n+1)n = 4nn +4n + 1 = 4k + 1.

DEMJR said:

I know that when we square any integer greater than 2 the result will be either divisible by four or four divides into the integer and leaves a remainder of one. How would I begin proving this in the most elementary of ways? I just need a boost, not the answer please. Thanks for all your help.

If you had a sequence of squares, how could you find the next one? (without using the square function)

Mensanator said:
If you had a sequence of squares, how could you find the next one? (without using the square function)
(n+1)2 = n2 + 2n + 1.

Good. Now you know that the successor of 0mod4 is 1mod4. Now you just need to find the successor of 1mod4. When you have figured out the successor rules, you just need to find the initial state. Then, with the successor rules in hand, you can build a state machine. As uou already know, not every possible state will appear in the successor rules but the ones that do are good to infinity.

DEMJR said:

The answer to most any math problem is to simplify the problem by separately considering every possible state under which the problem can be considered. Working with base 4 as tiny tim suggested requires 4 states for consideration since the units place can be either 0,1,2 or 3. But mathman showed that one need only considered 2 states, either the numbered squared is even (i.e. 2n) or odd (i.e. 2n+1). Mensanator suggests using the successor rule of squares under which the next square state is obtained by adding 2n + 1 to the previous square state where n is the previous number that is squared. It is your choice of what course to take, either one will work.

P.S. do you know how to reduce a number or expression mod 4?, or that (4n + b)^2 = b^2 mod 4?

Last edited:
mathman said:
(2n)n = 4nn = ...

(2n+1)n = 4nn +4n + 1 = ...

mathman,

what did you intend to make the chain of thought using the "n' variable?

In each of these, it works for n = 2. But the other positive integers?

checkitagain said:
mathman,

what did you intend to make the chain of thought using the "n' variable?

In each of these, it works for n = 2. But the other positive integers?
Typos which I didn't catch. Should be:

(2n)2 = 4n2 = 4m
(2n+1)2 =4n2 + 4n + 1 = 4k + 1

1. What is the definition of a squared integer?

A squared integer is a number that is the result of multiplying an integer by itself. For example, 4 is the square of 2 because 2 x 2 = 4.

2. How do you write a squared integer?

To write a squared integer, you can use the superscript 2 symbol after the integer. For example, 4² would be read as "four squared" and is equal to 16.

3. Can negative numbers be squared?

Yes, negative numbers can be squared. The result will always be a positive number. For example, (-3)² is equal to 9.

4. What is the difference between a squared integer and a regular integer?

A squared integer is the result of multiplying an integer by itself, while a regular integer is just a whole number with no specific mathematical operation attached to it. Squared integers are often used in formulas and equations to represent areas or volumes.

5. Can non-integer numbers be squared?

No, only integers can be squared. This is because squaring a number involves multiplying it by itself, which can only be done with whole numbers. However, non-integer numbers can be squared if they are first converted into an integer, such as by rounding or using the floor or ceiling function.