How do I find the volume of a solid of revolution using the Shell method?

In summary, the homework statement is that find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=2x2-x3 and y=0 about the y-axis. The attempt at a solution found that V=∫20 2π(x)(2x2-x3)dx. V=2π*limit 0 to 2* (2x3-x4)dx. V=2π*limit 0 to 2* x4/2 - x5/5. V=3π/5.
Heroesrule99

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=2x2-x3 and y=0 about the y-axis

Homework Equations

There no required method (between Disk, Washer, Shell). In my attempt below, I used the Shell method, I believe. 2π(shell radius)(shell height)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed the equation and ended up with V = ∫20 2π(x)(2x2-x3)dx

V =2π*limit 0 to 2* (2x3-x4)dx

V = 2π *limit 0 to 2* x4/2 - x5/5

V =[tex]2π (1/2 - 1/5)[/tex]
V= 3π/5

Am I on the right track or did I mess up horribly in the setup? I feel like the area where I might have made a mistake was the limits I set... and still getting used to the functions on here lol sorry

Physics news on Phys.org
Heroesrule99 said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=2x2-x3 and y=0 about the y-axis

Homework Equations

There no required method (between Disk, Washer, Shell). In my attempt below, I used the Shell method, I believe. 2π(shell radius)(shell height)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed the equation and ended up with V = ∫20 2π(x)(2x2-x3)dx

V =2π*limit 0 to 2* (2x3-x4)dx

V = 2π *limit 0 to 2* x4/2 - x5/5

V =[tex]2π (1/2 - 1/5)[/tex]
V= 3π/5

Am I on the right track or did I mess up horribly in the setup? I feel like the area where I might have made a mistake was the limits I set... and still getting used to the functions on here lol sorry

The setup looks ok to me but it looks like you are putting x=1 for the upper limit of your integral instead of x=2 when you evaluate it. Why would you do that?

Last edited:
Ah, just a silly error. So when I plug in 2 for x rather than one. I get 8 - 6.4 = 3.2pi. But other than that it looks alright? I was worried about how I choose to set up my limits since I found the x intercept for the upper limit...but kinda sort of just guessed that the other was 0. There has to be a more technical way to go about that. @_@

Heroesrule99 said:
Ah, just a silly error. So when I plug in 2 for x rather than one. I get 8 - 6.4 = 3.2pi. But other than that it looks alright? I was worried about how I choose to set up my limits since I found the x intercept for the upper limit...but kinda sort of just guessed that the other was 0. There has to be a more technical way to go about that. @_@

Yes, that's fine. There are two x intercepts. Factor. 2x^2-x^3=x^2*(2-x)=0. So either x=0 or x=2.

Thanks so much!

What is a "Solid of Revolution"?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional object formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis.

How is the volume of a solid of revolution calculated?

The volume of a solid of revolution is calculated using the formula V = π∫(R(x))^2 dx, where R(x) is the radius of the shape at a given point and the integral is taken over the range of x values.

What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a solid generated by extrusion?

A solid of revolution is formed by rotating a shape around an axis, while a solid generated by extrusion is formed by pushing a shape in a straight direction to create a three-dimensional object.

What are some real-world applications of solids of revolution?

Solids of revolution are commonly used in engineering and architecture for objects such as pipes, vases, and bottles. They are also used in physics to model objects such as planets and stars.

What are the limitations of using solids of revolution to model real-world objects?

Solids of revolution assume that the shape being rotated is symmetrical and does not take into account irregularities or variations in the object. They also may not accurately represent objects with curved or complex shapes.