How to find current and current consumption of entire circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the current i2(t) and the effective current in an AC RLC circuit. The method of solving is similar to that of a resistive DC circuit, where the impedance of each component is calculated and series and parallel additions are done. The discussion also touches on the use of complex numbers and the application of current division principle. The importance of showing working and understanding the concepts is emphasized. There is also a mention of using either sinusoidal or cosinusoidal representation while working with phasors.
aruwin
I need help in answering these questions.This is not homework, this is exercise.

IMG_1275.jpg

Given that current i1(t)= (√2)*sin2t[A]

1. Find the current i2(t).
2.Find the effective current(current consumption) in the entire circuit

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to do it yourself?

Why not show your working and maybe we can see what you don't understand about it?

It doesn't matter that it isn't homework. If it is like homework, then the homework rules apply.

Well at first glance of the values I'd guess that all of the currents are going to be somewhere between very high and holy-cow!

AC RLC circuits are solved similarly to resistive DC circuits.

Find the impedance of each component, and do typical series and parallel additions.

The trick is, since it's AC and inductive current leads and capacitive current lags, you'll need to do those additions in the complex plane.

Maybe not as high as you think.

Can you say what the frequency and peak amplitude of the current i1 is?

AC and inductive current leads and capacitive current lags.

Better check this one...

I got this for number 1. Please correct my mistakes.Please.

IMG_1291.jpg

I got like this. . .please correct me if wrong
attachment.php?attachmentid=43861&stc=1&d=1329146926.jpg

Attachments

• 13022012009.jpg
    13022012009.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 584
I1 is given so you don't have to derive it.

The reactance of a 0.5 H inductor at a frequency of 0.318 Hz is close to 1 ohm, not 4 ohms.

Also,
I don't think you can divide currents like that.

Suppose you put a 5 ohm and a 10 ohm resistor in parallel and the total current was 10 amps.
The 10 ohm resistor would be carrying 3.33 amps and the 5 ohm resistor would be carrying 6.66 amps.

So could you say that the current in the 10 ohm resistor was 10 amps times 5/10 ? No, that would be 5 amps.

vk6kro said:
I1 is given so you don't have to derive it.

The reactance of a 0.5 H inductor at a frequency of 0.318 Hz is close to 1 ohm, not 4 ohms.

Also,
I don't think you can divide currents like that.

Suppose you put a 5 ohm and a 10 ohm resistor in parallel and the total current was 10 amps.
The 10 ohm resistor would be carrying 3.33 amps and the 5 ohm resistor would be carrying 6.66 amps.

So could you say that the current in the 10 ohm resistor was 10 amps times 5/10 ? No, that would be 5 amps.
sorry that was a real blunder
attachment.php?attachmentid=43886&stc=1&d=1329200703.jpg

Attachments

• 14022012010.jpg
    14022012010.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 541
That looks better.

Are there two students from the same class posting in this thread? :uhh:

You were given the current as a sinusoid; I'm wondering why you changed it to a cosinusoid?

Last edited:
How did the 4j impedance of the upper inductor turn into 3j in the equation for I1?

The answer is correct but the method is still wrong.

Going back to the example above with the 10 ohm and 5 ohm resistors with a total current of 10 Amps.

The parallel combination of 5 and 10 ohms is 3.333 ohms.

The current in each resistor is given by 10 amps times 3.333 / R.
So, if R is 10 ohms, the current through it is 10 * 3.333 / 10 ...or 3.33 amps.
If R is 5 ohms, the current is 10 * 3.333 / 5 ...or 6.6666 amps.

So, you don't add the impedances in the loop. You need to get the parallel combination of them.

An easier way would be to derive the current in the 0.5 F capacitor and just add the two currents when you have both currents.

vk6kro said:
The answer is correct but the method is still wrong.

Going back to the example above with the 10 ohm and 5 ohm resistors with a total current of 10 Amps.

The parallel combination of 5 and 10 ohms is 3.333 ohms.

The current in each resistor is given by 10 amps times 3.333 / R.
So, if R is 10 ohms, the current through it is 10 * 3.333 / 10 ...or 3.33 amps.
If R is 5 ohms, the current is 10 * 3.333 / 5 ...or 6.6666 amps.

So, you don't add the impedances in the loop. You need to get the parallel combination of them.

An easier way would be to derive the current in the 0.5 F capacitor and just add the two currents when you have both currents.
but we can do like this
current through 10 ohms is 10A*[5/(5+10)] and
current through 5 ohms is 10A*[10/(5+10)]
/* current division principle*/

attachment.php?attachmentid=43905&stc=1&d=1329239468.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 591
reddvoid said:
but we can do like this
current through 10 ohms is 10A*[5/(5+10)] and
current through 5 ohms is 10A*[10/(5+10)]
/* current division principle*/

Yes, you are quite right.

That is a much easier way of doing it.

NascentOxygen said:
You were given the current as a sinusoid; I'm wondering why you changed it to a cosinusoid?

I think using cosinusoidal while working with phasors makes it easier to work .
but here if we use sinusoidal final answer we get as 4.24i
that is 4.42arg(90)
why is that ?

1. How do I measure the current of an entire circuit?

To measure the current of an entire circuit, you will need a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the DC current mode and place it in series with the circuit. This means connecting the positive lead of the multimeter to the positive end of the circuit and the negative lead to the negative end. The multimeter will then display the current flowing through the circuit.

2. What is the difference between current and current consumption?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit, measured in amps (A). Current consumption, on the other hand, refers to the amount of current used by a particular component or device in a circuit. It is measured in milliamps (mA) or microamps (μA) depending on the scale of the component's consumption.

3. How can I calculate the current consumption of a circuit?

To calculate the current consumption of a circuit, you will need to know the individual current consumption of each component in the circuit. This can usually be found on the component's datasheet. Then, using Ohm's Law (I = V/R), you can calculate the current consumption by dividing the voltage across the component by its resistance.

4. What factors can affect the current consumption of a circuit?

The current consumption of a circuit can be affected by various factors such as the number and type of components in the circuit, the voltage and current supply, and the temperature. Different components have different current consumption ratings, so it is important to choose components that are suitable for the desired current consumption of the circuit.

5. Can I reduce the current consumption of a circuit?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the current consumption of a circuit. One way is to use components with lower current consumption ratings. Another way is to optimize the circuit design by reducing the number of components and using more efficient components. Additionally, implementing power-saving techniques such as switching off components when not in use can also help reduce current consumption.