Erdos conjecture on arithmetic progression

In summary, the Erdős conjecture on arithmetic progressions states that if the sum of reciprocals of a large set A is infinite, then A contains arithmetic progressions of any given length. This conjecture is still unsolved and Erdős offered a prize of $5000 for a proof. The Green-Tao theorem is a special case of this conjecture. A mathematician at UW has verified the conjecture to be correct, but there are still doubts. Some proofs have been presented, but the conjecture is not yet settled for arithmetic sequences of length 3.
jinchuriki300
I read this through wikipedia and some other sources and find it to be unsolved. Erdos offer a prize of $5000 to prove it. A mathematician at UW has looked at it and verify them to be correct. However, i still have some doubt about it because the proof i give is pretty simple. Can anyone take a look at it?
STATEMENT AND DEFINITION from wikipedia

Formally, if

\sum_{n\in A} \frac{1}{n} = \infty

(i.e. A is a large set) then A contains arithmetic progressions of any given length.

If true, the theorem would generalize Szemerédi's theorem.

Erdős offered a prize of US$3000 for a proof of this conjecture at the time. The problem is currently worth US$5000.

The Green–Tao theorem on arithmetic progressions in the primes is a special case of this conjecture

Proof

For positive arithmetic progression which d ≥ 1

let's say f(x) = 1/n + 1/(n+d) + 1/(n+2d) + ...+1/(n+xd)

then n.f(x) = n/n + n/(n+d) + n/(n+2d) +...+n/(n+xd) = 1 + 1/(1+d/n) + 1/(1+2d/n) +...1/(1+xd/n)

x starts at 1 and goes to infinity, then there are some x that could be divisible by n,

then n.f(x) = 1 + 1/(1+d/n) +...1/(1+d) + 1/(1+xd/n) +...1/(1+2d)+...

n.f(x) = a(x) + b(x) + c(x) +...

a(x) = 1 + 1/(1+d) + 1/(1+2d) +...

hence f(x) = a(x)/n + b(x)/n +...

now, a new function series m(x) = a(x) - 1 = 1/(1+d) + 1/(1+2d) +...

defined a new function n(x) = 1/(d+d) + 1/(d+2d) + 1/(d+3d) +... = 1/2d + 1/3d + 1/4d +...= (1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5+...)/d

Thus, (1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5+...) diverges so does (1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5+...)/d, then n(x) diverges, m(x) > n(x), hence m(x) diverges, m(x) + 1 diverges, therefore a(x) diverges, that mean a(x)/n diverges for all n, then f(x) diverges.

For negative arithmetic progression which d ≥ 1 ; d > n

let's say f(x) = 1/n + 1/(n-d) + 1/(n-2d) + ...+1/(n-xd)

Using the same method above: f(x) = (1+ 1/(1-d) + 1/(1-2d) + 1/(1-3d) + ...)/n + b(x)/n +...

a(x)=1 + 1/(1-d) + 1/(1-2d) + 1/(1-3d) + ... = negative result =∞ when d = 1, therefore we have to prove d > 1

Now, m(x) = a(x) - 1 = 1/(1-d) + 1/(1-2d) + 1/(1-3d) + ...

n(x) ≥ m(x)

because n(x) = 1/(-d-d) + 1/(-d-2d) + ...= 1/(-2d) + 1/(-3d) + ... = - (1/2+1/3+1/4+...)/d = ∞

Hence f(x) diverges

now we have proved d ≥ 1

But considered f(x) = 1/(n+y) + 1/(n+2y) and g(x) = 1/(n+t) + 1/(n+2t) +...

if y > t and f(x) diverges, then g(x) diverges. So 1 ≥ d is true if d ≥ 1 is true

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, in your proof, I read various statements to the effect that the harmonic (1+1/2+1/3+1/4+...) and similar series are divergent. I do not see anything related to the properties of a given large set A.

It is interesting to note that the Erdos-conjecture you mention is not even known for arithmetic sequences of length 3. I really think someone should finally settle that.

what do you mean by length of 3?

jinchuriki300 said:
I read this through wikipedia and some other sources and find it to be unsolved. Erdos offer a prize of $5000 to prove it. A mathematician at UW has looked at it and verify them to be correct. However, i still have some doubt about it because the proof i give is pretty simple. Can anyone take a look at it?
STATEMENT AND DEFINITION from wikipedia

Formally, if

\sum_{n\in A} \frac{1}{n} = \infty

(i.e. A is a large set) then A contains arithmetic progressions of any given length.

If true, the theorem would generalize Szemerédi's theorem.

Erdős offered a prize of US$3000 for a proof of this conjecture at the time. The problem is currently worth US$5000.

The Green–Tao theorem on arithmetic progressions in the primes is a special case of this conjecture

Proof

For positive arithmetic progression which d ≥ 1

let's say f(x) = 1/n + 1/(n+d) + 1/(n+2d) + ...+1/(n+xd)

then n.f(x) = n/n + n/(n+d) + n/(n+2d) +...+n/(n+xd) = 1 + 1/(1+d/n) + 1/(1+2d/n) +...1/(1+xd/n)

x starts at 1 and goes to infinity, then there are some x that could be divisible by n,

then n.f(x) = 1 + 1/(1+d/n) +...1/(1+d) + 1/(1+xd/n) +...1/(1+2d)+...

n.f(x) = a(x) + b(x) + c(x) +...

a(x) = 1 + 1/(1+d) + 1/(1+2d) +...

hence f(x) = a(x)/n + b(x)/n +...

now, a new function series m(x) = a(x) - 1 = 1/(1+d) + 1/(1+2d) +...

defined a new function n(x) = 1/(d+d) + 1/(d+2d) + 1/(d+3d) +... = 1/2d + 1/3d + 1/4d +...= (1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5+...)/d

Thus, (1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5+...) diverges so does (1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5+...)/d, then n(x) diverges, m(x) > n(x), hence m(x) diverges, m(x) + 1 diverges, therefore a(x) diverges, that mean a(x)/n diverges for all n, then f(x) diverges.

For negative arithmetic progression which d ≥ 1 ; d > n

let's say f(x) = 1/n + 1/(n-d) + 1/(n-2d) + ...+1/(n-xd)

Using the same method above: f(x) = (1+ 1/(1-d) + 1/(1-2d) + 1/(1-3d) + ...)/n + b(x)/n +...

a(x)=1 + 1/(1-d) + 1/(1-2d) + 1/(1-3d) + ... = negative result =∞ when d = 1, therefore we have to prove d > 1

Now, m(x) = a(x) - 1 = 1/(1-d) + 1/(1-2d) + 1/(1-3d) + ...

n(x) ≥ m(x)

because n(x) = 1/(-d-d) + 1/(-d-2d) + ...= 1/(-2d) + 1/(-3d) + ... = - (1/2+1/3+1/4+...)/d = ∞

Hence f(x) diverges

now we have proved d ≥ 1

But considered f(x) = 1/(n+y) + 1/(n+2y) and g(x) = 1/(n+t) + 1/(n+2t) +...

if y > t and f(x) diverges, then g(x) diverges. So 1 ≥ d is true if d ≥ 1 is true
I don't see where you taken an arbitary infinite random set of numbers and shown that if the sum of the recipricals diverges i.e. equals infinity then the random set of numbers contains arithmetic progressions of any given length. It looks like you chose specific arithmetic sequences, not infinite random sets of numbers.
See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdős_conjecture_on_arithmetic_progressions
for a statement of the conjecture

Last edited:

I appreciate your efforts in attempting to solve the Erdos conjecture on arithmetic progression. It is a challenging problem that has yet to be proven, despite many attempts by mathematicians. While your proof may seem simple, it is important to remember that a proof must be rigorous and withstand scrutiny from other mathematicians. I encourage you to share your proof with other experts in the field and see if they can find any flaws or offer suggestions for improvement. Only with a strong and indisputable proof can the Erdos conjecture be officially solved and the prize claimed. Keep exploring and pushing the boundaries of mathematical knowledge – who knows, you may be the one to finally crack the Erdos conjecture!

1. What is the Erdos conjecture on arithmetic progression?

The Erdos conjecture on arithmetic progression, also known as the Erdos-Turan conjecture, is a mathematical conjecture proposed by mathematician Paul Erdos in 1936. It states that every set of integers with positive upper density contains arbitrarily long arithmetic progressions.

2. Why is the Erdos conjecture important?

The Erdos conjecture has been a long-standing open problem in mathematics and has attracted significant attention from mathematicians. It has connections to various fields such as combinatorics, number theory, and harmonic analysis. Its proof would contribute to a better understanding of the distribution of arithmetic progressions in sets of integers.

3. What progress has been made towards proving the Erdos conjecture?

Several partial results and related conjectures have been established, but the Erdos conjecture remains unsolved. In 2003, mathematician Terence Tao showed that the conjecture holds for all sufficiently large sets with positive upper density. In 2011, mathematician Ben Green and Terence Tao proved that any subset of the primes with positive upper density contains arbitrarily long arithmetic progressions.

4. What are some potential implications of the Erdos conjecture being true?

If the Erdos conjecture is proven, it would have significant implications in various fields of mathematics, including combinatorics, number theory, and harmonic analysis. It could also lead to the development of new techniques and approaches in these areas of mathematics.

5. Are there any counterexamples or cases where the Erdos conjecture has been disproven?

No counterexamples or cases where the Erdos conjecture has been disproven have been found. It remains an open problem and is considered one of the most challenging unsolved problems in mathematics.