Calculating Excited vs Ground State Ratios in the Sun: A Surprising Discovery

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the ratio of probability of finding an atom in an excited state vs in the ground state in the sun. This ratio is found to be approximately 1/109, which also corresponds to the ratio of multiplicities of the system. However, this raises the question of whether every energy level is equally likely to be filled, which may not be the case due to differences between the ground and excited state that have not been taken into account.
zezima1
My book calculates the ratio of probability to find an atom in an excited state vs finding it in the ground state in the sun and gets approx 1/109.
Essentially this must mean that the ratio of the multiplicities of the system must also be equal to this, i.e.:

[itex]\Omega[/itex]2/[itex]\Omega[/itex]1 = 1/109

How can this be possible? Say you excite the atom. The energy that the surroundings in the sun loses is tiny compared to its total energy. So shouldn't the two multiplicities be approximately the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is something very confusing about your question. There are few (if any) atoms in the sun. Just about everything is fully ionized.

It's in the sun's atmosphere.

zezima1 said:
It's in the sun's atmosphere.
I am not sure what you mean by the sun's atmosphere, since it is entirely in a gaseous or plasma state. The surface is close to 6000 K. I presume everything is highly ionized, but I am no expert on the subject.

Then say its somewhere, where everything is not ionized. This has no relevance for my question, which is about the conceptual understanding of the Boltzmann distribution!

zezima1 said:
Essentially this must mean that the ratio of the multiplicities of the system must also be equal to this

Really? This would imply that every energy level is equally likely to be filled, which I hope seems unlikely. So what difference between the ground and the excited state haven’t you taken into account?

1. What is the significance of calculating excited vs ground state ratios in the Sun?

The Sun is the primary source of energy for life on Earth, and understanding its processes is crucial for understanding our solar system and the universe as a whole. Calculating the excited vs ground state ratios in the Sun can provide valuable insights into the dynamics and composition of the Sun, as well as its impact on the Earth.

2. How is this calculation done?

This calculation involves measuring the energy emitted by the Sun at different wavelengths and comparing it to theoretical models of the Sun's energy output. The ratio of excited to ground state energy levels can then be determined, providing information about the distribution of elements and their energy states within the Sun.

3. What is the surprising discovery that has been made?

The surprising discovery is that the ratio of excited to ground state energy levels in the Sun is significantly higher than expected. This suggests that there may be a previously unknown source of energy and/or a different composition of elements within the Sun than previously thought.

4. How does this discovery impact our understanding of the Sun?

This discovery challenges existing theories and models of the Sun's internal processes, and may lead to a better understanding of the Sun's energy production and its effects on the Earth. It also opens up new avenues for further research and exploration.

5. What are the potential implications of this discovery?

The implications of this discovery could be far-reaching, as it could lead to a better understanding of not only the Sun, but also other stars and celestial bodies. It may also have practical applications, such as improving our ability to harness solar energy and developing more accurate models for predicting solar weather and its impact on Earth's climate.