Solution for Sylvester Equation

• Thread starter matematikawan
  • Start date
In summary, the person is suggesting that if someone cannot use known methods to solve equations, they should try working it out using pen and paper first.
matematikawan
Given n by n matrices A, B, C. I know how to solve the Sylvester equation

AX + XB + C = 0

using the MATLAB command >> X=lyap(A,B,C)

But how do we solve the extended Sylvester equation
AX + XB + CXD + E = 0 ?

Either numerical or analytical method I'm willing to learn.

Physics news on Phys.org
matematikawan said:
Given n by n matrices A, B, C. I know how to solve the Sylvester equation

AX + XB + C = 0

using the MATLAB command >> X=lyap(A,B,C)

But how do we solve the extended Sylvester equation
AX + XB + CXD + E = 0 ?

Either numerical or analytical method I'm willing to learn.

Hey matematikawan.

Have you tried just expanding out the system, collecting the terms and getting a form of AX = B?

In other words you get a matrix corresponding to ZX = F and then apply the formula X = Z^-1 x F. For the Z matrix you will need to do some algebra to get this and in this particular example, F = -E.

I don't think it is possible to express it as AX=B.
Even to solve the Sylvester equation you have to diagonalize the matrices.

matematikawan said:
I don't think it is possible to express it as AX=B.
Even to solve the Sylvester equation you have to diagonalize the matrices.

Try pen and paper first instead of using a computer.

What will happen is that when you collect everything together you should get a linear system in terms of your X and some matrix that is premultiplied by it. Once you have separated the matrix from your X by specifying what that matrix is then you can do normal inversion techniques.

You might have to write the algorithm yourself after doing a pen and paper derivation, but the idea doesn't change.

Also when you expand out everything using algebra, I'm sure you'll find conditions for when this does not hold, possibly even as a function of A, B, and C.

Again I urge you to do the pen and paper algebraic computation if you can't use any other known results.

The extended Sylvester equation is a more complex version of the original Sylvester equation and can be solved using a similar approach. One possible method is to use the MATLAB command >> X=lyap(A,B,C,D,E), which will solve for the matrix X that satisfies the extended Sylvester equation. Alternatively, one could use analytical methods such as the Bartels-Stewart algorithm or the Schur method to solve the equation. These methods involve decomposing the equation into smaller subproblems and solving them iteratively. It is also important to note that the extended Sylvester equation may not always have a unique solution and may have multiple solutions or no solution at all. Careful consideration of the problem and its specific parameters is necessary to determine the most appropriate solution method.

1. What is the Sylvester Equation and why is it important?

The Sylvester Equation, also known as the matrix equation, is a mathematical problem that involves finding a matrix X that satisfies the equation AX + XB = C, where A, B, and C are given matrices. This equation has many applications in fields such as control theory, signal processing, and physics, making it an important topic in mathematics and science.

2. What are the methods used to solve the Sylvester Equation?

There are several methods used to solve the Sylvester Equation, including the Bartels-Stewart algorithm, the Lyapunov equation approach, and the Schur decomposition method. These methods differ in complexity and efficiency, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem and available resources.

3. Can the Sylvester Equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, the Sylvester Equation can have infinitely many solutions. This is because the equation is underdetermined, meaning there are more unknowns than equations. Therefore, there are infinite combinations of X that can satisfy the equation. However, in some cases, there may be a unique solution.

4. What are the real-world applications of the Sylvester Equation?

The Sylvester Equation has many applications in science and engineering. It is used in control systems to model and analyze the behavior of dynamic systems, in signal processing to filter and process signals, and in physics to study the motion of particles and fluids. It is also used in computer graphics to create animations and simulations.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in solving the Sylvester Equation?

One of the main challenges in solving the Sylvester Equation is its computational complexity. As the size of the matrices A, B, and C increases, the time and resources required to solve the equation also increase. Additionally, there may be numerical instabilities and approximation errors that can affect the accuracy of the solution.