Electric Dipole in B Field: No Torque

In summary, the torque experienced by an electric dipole in a B field depends on its movement and rotation. If the dipole is not moving, it will not experience a torque. If it is only rotating, it will feel a torque but not a force on its center of mass. If it is both moving and rotating, it will experience both a force and a torque. The general formulas for the force and torque are given by \vec{F}=\left((\vec{\omega} \times \vec{d}) \times \vec{B}\right) and \vec{M}= \vec{d} \times (\vec{v} \times \vec{B}), respectively.
cragar
If i have an electric dipole in a B field, it won't experience a torque right.
Because the electric dipole is not moving. So it should just stay put.
Just want to check my understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as there is no electric field in the system of the dipole (and ignoring stuff like gravity and so on), it does not feel any force/torque.

ok thanks for your answer, but if the dipole was moving then it would experience a torque.

It depends on the way in which it moves. The dipole would only experience a torque on it if it were rotating with respect to the B field. If the dipole was moving without rotation, it would not experience a torque but would experience a force on its center of mass. If it was only rotating, it would feel a torque but not a force on its center of mass.

Are you sure about that? I got confused by trying to combine B,v,d in my mind, so I calculated it:

Represent the dipole by a positive charge q at position [itex]a=(a_x,a_y,a_z)[/itex] and a negative charge -q at position -a.

A velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] of the dipole generates the total force [itex]\vec{F}=\vec{F_q}+\vec{F_{-q}}=q(\vec{v} \times \vec{B})+(-q)(\vec{v} \times \vec{B})=0[/itex].
The torque based on this movement is [itex]\vec{M}=\vec{a} \times \vec{F_q} - \vec{a} \times \vec{F_{-q}}=2q \vec{a} \times(\vec{v} \times \vec{B})[/itex]
Another way to see this is to transform the problem in the system of the dipole: The magnetic field gets an added electric component, which can generate a torque but not a net force.

Now, let the dipole rotate with angular velocity [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex]. The positive charge then moves with [itex]\vec{\omega} \times \vec{a}[/itex] and the negative charge with the negative value of that.

Therefore, the total force is [itex]\vec{F}=\vec{F_q}+\vec{F_{-q}}=q\left((\vec{\omega} \times \vec{a}) \times \vec{B}\right)+(-q)\left(((\vec{\omega} \times -\vec{a}) \times \vec{B}\right)=2q \left((\vec{\omega} \times \vec{a}) \times \vec{B}\right)[/itex]
The torque is [itex]\vec{M}=\vec{a} \times \vec{F_q} - \vec{a} \times \vec{F_{-q}}=0[/itex] by symmetry as [itex]\vec{F_q}=\vec{F_{-q}}[/itex].

Replacing 2qa by the dipole moment d and allowing both movement and rotation at the same time finally gives the general formulas:

[tex]\vec{F}=\left((\vec{\omega} \times \vec{d}) \times \vec{B}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{M}= \vec{d} \times (\vec{v} \times \vec{B})[/tex]

I wonder how the solutions of these equations (together with J d/dt omega = M and m d/dt v = F) look like.

mfb said:
Are you sure about that? I got confused by trying to combine B,v,d in my mind, so I calculated it:

Represent the dipole by a positive charge q at position [itex]a=(a_x,a_y,a_z)[/itex] and a negative charge -q at position -a.

You are correct. I somehow was thinking about a dipole with the same signed charge on both ends (that's last time I comment before my coffee).

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. It is represented by two charges, one positive and one negative, with a distance between them.

2. How does an electric dipole behave in a magnetic field?

An electric dipole experiences a force and a torque when placed in a magnetic field. The force is directed perpendicular to both the dipole moment and the magnetic field, while the torque is directed along the dipole moment.

3. What is the significance of a "no torque" scenario for an electric dipole in a magnetic field?

A "no torque" scenario for an electric dipole in a magnetic field means that the dipole is aligned parallel or antiparallel to the magnetic field. In this case, the torque acting on the dipole is zero, and it experiences only a force which causes it to move along the direction of the magnetic field lines.

4. How can we calculate the force and torque on an electric dipole in a magnetic field?

The force on an electric dipole in a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation F = qv x B, where q is the charge of the dipole, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field. The torque can be calculated using the equation τ = p x B, where p is the dipole moment and B is the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-life applications of an electric dipole in a magnetic field?

One example of an application of an electric dipole in a magnetic field is in MRI machines, which use the interaction between the magnetic field and the dipole moment of hydrogen atoms in the body to produce images. Another application is in particle accelerators, where electric dipoles are used to steer and focus charged particles with the help of magnetic fields.