Understanding the Cauchy Integral Formula and Evaluating Complex Integrals

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating using the Cauchy's Integral Formula (CIF). The person is trying to solve an integral with a singularity at z = 1/3, which is inside the circle of radius 4. They use the formula 2iPi*f to find the value of f(1/3) and get the answer of 2*Pi*i(exp(2/3i)), but the given answer is (-4Pi/9)(exp(2/3i)). They then realize that a generalised CIF needs to be used when dealing with powers, and after using it they get the correct answer of -4Pi(exp(2/3i)). The conversation ends with a question about
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

Evaluating using CIF.

|z| = 4

Integral [itex]{\frac {{{\rm e}^{2\,iz}}{\it dz}}{ \left( 3\,z-1 \right) ^{2}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the singularity here is z = 1/3 which is inside the circle.

Therefore using the formula [itex]2\,i\pi \,f[/itex] and substituting in the z = 1/3

We get f(1/3) = exp(2/3i)

So I get the answer of 2*Pi*i(exp(2/3i))

However the answer given is (-4Pi/9)(exp(2/3i))

I'm thinking it has something to do with the repeated root, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Found out that when dealing with powers, a generalised CIF has to be used. Now however I get -4Pi(exp(2/3i))

Where did that 1/9 come from?

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that the value of a complex analytic function at a point inside a closed contour can be calculated by integrating the function along the contour.

2. How is the Cauchy Integral Formula used?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is used to calculate the value of a complex analytic function at any point inside a closed contour, as long as the function is analytic (has a derivative) at all points within and on the contour.

3. What is a contour in the Cauchy Integral Formula?

A contour is a closed curve or path in the complex plane. It can be any shape as long as it is continuous and does not intersect itself.

4. What is the difference between the Cauchy Integral Formula and the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a specific case of the more general Cauchy-Goursat Theorem. While the Cauchy Integral Formula is used to calculate the value of a complex analytic function at a single point inside a closed contour, the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem is used to calculate the integral of a complex analytic function over a larger region enclosed by the contour.

5. What is the significance of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is significant because it allows for the calculation of complex analytic functions using integration, which is a powerful tool in mathematics. It also has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.