Quantum Computers, how do they work?

In summary, quantum computers use qubits as units of information and perform operations using unitary gates, such as the important gate CNOT. They are not just massively parallel classical computers, but their real power comes from using interference to their advantage. Quantum error correction has made quantum computation feasible and does not require a crazy level of control. Entanglement allows for a large number of operations to be performed simultaneously, but it is still being worked on and is not yet fully understood. In order to perform irreversible/nonlinear operations, a buffer of uniformly zeroed or one'd qubits must be used, but it is unclear if this can be removed from the system without destroying the working buffer's state.
Max Born
Lately I've been hearing about latest advancements in quantum computers, such as the chinese group breaks distance record for teleporting qubits (As seen on phys.org, Unfortunately i cannot post that link because i am new). I was just wondering if anybody could clear up what a quantum computer is? And how does it work? All i know is that it uses quantum entanglement, and it stores information in qubits.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's different ways quantum computing can take place. Some revolve around the superposition of sub-atomic particles, some revolve around entanglement and/or teleportation of photons.
Quantum computers use "qubits" as units of information, which is essentially every infinite number between 0 and 1, like an extension of the classical binary code. Particles on the sub-atomic scale don't really have a finite state or position, and instead occupy a multitude of probable positions and momentum simultaneously, and this property is called superposition.
It's still being worked on, but it uses the vector states of these positions, since when you actually measure a particle, the path or momentum you see is defined and isn't a superposition, it's probability collapses to that of specific known values, and scientists are trying to work on a way to use this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qubits

Max Born said:
Lately I've been hearing about latest advancements in quantum computers, such as the chinese group breaks distance record for teleporting qubits (As seen on phys.org, Unfortunately i cannot post that link because i am new). I was just wondering if anybody could clear up what a quantum computer is? And how does it work? All i know is that it uses quantum entanglement, and it stores information in qubits.

You've got the basics already. Quantum information is stored in qubits while operations are performed by acting on the qubits with unitary "gates". For example, a very important gate is CNOT which acts on two qubits and flips the second qubit between 0 and 1 provided the first control qubit is 1. In equations, if x and y take values 0 and 1 then [itex] U_{CNOT} |x, y\rangle = |x, x+y \rangle[/itex] and the addition is binary i.e. mod 2. At this level the important differences between classical and quantum computation is that there are more kinds of quantum gates and quantum gates can act on superpositions e.g. [itex] U_{CNOT} (|00\rangle - |11 \rangle) = |00\rangle - |10\rangle . [/itex]

However, a quantum computer is not just a massively parallel classical computer as is often claimed. There is a very simple reason why: whenever you measure the state of the computer you only get a single answer. Thus even if in some sense a quantum computer is "doing all calculations at once", you only get to see one answer at a time. The real power of a quantum computer comes from interface i.e. from the fact that amplitudes can be negative (or complex). The key is to use interference to your advantage so that a few measurements of the computer give you the answer you want. Thus quantum computers can solve some problems faster than classical computers but they are not all powerful computing machines.

Finally, on a practical front, the crucial development of quantum error correction means that quantum computation is in principle feasible. We don't need any kind of crazy level of control to achieve the sort of superpositions and entanglement necessary to do quantum computation. In my opinion this makes the quantum computer a question of time only.

Hope this helps.

The only quantum computing thing I heard is it uses particle spin, and not as in "entanglement" but as in binary computing at nearly unrestricted speeds. (no heat/volts/durability issue)

Quantum being a reference to the nano-tech, again not entanglement.Physics Monkey, is there a more easy to understand explanation for the "entanglement" computing you mention?btw this is all iirc

So quantum computers use entanglement to perform a ton of operations simulataneously. N quibits holding the same state you would expect of 2^N bits, via entanglement. But can quantum computers be turing complete if they depend on linear operations on the quibits? Are there any nonlinear operations that can be performed on quibit strings without collapsing the state (voiding all the entangled information) and feeding into a classical stage?

xor is linear. not is linear.

or might be sort of kludged as a linear operation if you read everything over threshold x as on, if you don't add too much signal to some bits and drown out others. But it would mess up subsequent operations.

and appears nonlinear. if is nonlinear.

edit: Oh wait! I get it! In order to perform irreversible/nonlinear operations, you would have to start with a buffer of uniformly zeroed quibits, or uniformly one'd quibits. Operations analogous to rotation can be performed on your working quibit array that amount to things like and-ing, if-ing, ect. But you would eventually run out of zero-buffer. Can you remove a buffer from a quantum system to refresh it without destroying your working buffer's state?

Last edited:

What is a quantum computer?

A quantum computer is a type of computer that utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics to perform operations on data. Unlike classical computers that use bits to store and process information, quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) which can exist in multiple states simultaneously, allowing for much more powerful and complex calculations.

How do quantum computers work?

Quantum computers use qubits to store and process information. These qubits can exist in multiple states at the same time, known as superposition, and can also become entangled with each other, allowing for parallel processing. This allows quantum computers to perform certain calculations much faster and more efficiently than classical computers.

What are the potential applications of quantum computers?

Quantum computers have the potential to greatly impact fields such as cryptography, drug discovery, and optimization problems. They can also be used for simulating complex quantum systems, which is not possible with classical computers. However, the technology is still in its early stages and more research and development is needed before we can fully realize the potential applications of quantum computers.

What are the limitations of quantum computers?

One of the main limitations of quantum computers is the fragility of qubits. They are easily affected by external disturbances, which can cause errors in calculations. This makes it difficult to scale up quantum computers to a large number of qubits. Additionally, quantum computers are currently expensive and complex to build and operate, making them inaccessible to the general public.

How is quantum computing different from classical computing?

Quantum computing differs from classical computing in the way information is processed. Classical computers use binary digits (bits) to store and process information, while quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) which can exist in multiple states at the same time. This allows quantum computers to perform certain calculations much faster and more efficiently than classical computers, but they are limited in the types of problems they can solve.