Fundamental- solving a second order differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation in the context of studying Dynamics of Structures. The person is struggling to understand the logic behind the general solution of the equation, which involves using the linear superposition method to combine two solutions. They also discuss the use of imaginary roots and the connection to trigonometric functions. There is a mention of getting help from another person.
svishal03
I've completed my Engineering but doing a self study course in Dynamics of Structures and have got a very fundamnetal question concerning solution of differential equation and hope someone will be able to help me.

Sorry if its too fundamnetal and stupid!

Let us say we have to solve a differential equation:

mu_double_dot + k_u=0

(double dot indicates second derivative)

We put,

u = e^st

we get first and second order derivative of u and substitute in the abovce differential equation and get:

s = +i sqrt(k/m) or -i sqrt(k/m)

We now say that general solution is:

u = A1 e^s1t + A2 e^s2t

where s1 and s2 are +i sqrt(k/m) and -i sqrt(k/m) respectively

Shouldn't the solution be:

u = e^s1 t OR u = e^s2t ??

Please can anyone help what is the logic in putting

u = A1 e^s1t + A2 e^s2t and why?

Vishal

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear superposition. if y1 and y2 are solutions, then y1 + y2 is also.

Dear Mandlebra,

Thank you for the response...

Did you mean:

If y1 and y2 are solutions then :

Ay1+By2 are also solutions

where A and B are constants- did you miss put the A and B in your response?

Vishal

Yes, I forgot

Mandlebra said:
Yes, I forgot

You are solving the typical equation for a oscillator vibrating.

You are on the right track.

But you got imaginary roots.

what is exp^(i*root).. what is this in terms of trig functions?

Then it will make sense

good job,
yus310

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. It is used to model many physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How do you solve a second order differential equation?

There are various methods for solving a second order differential equation, including separation of variables, substitution, and using the characteristic equation. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

3. What are the fundamental solutions of a second order differential equation?

The fundamental solutions of a second order differential equation are the two independent solutions that make up the general solution. These solutions are typically found by solving for the roots of the characteristic equation.

4. Can you solve a second order differential equation with non-constant coefficients?

Yes, a second order differential equation with non-constant coefficients can be solved using techniques such as variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve finding a particular solution and combining it with the complementary solution to form the general solution.

5. What is the importance of solving a second order differential equation in science?

Solving second order differential equations is important in many areas of science, as it allows us to model and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to understand and make predictions about complex systems.