Mobile Forum: Disable Mobile Version & Ads on Subscription Accounts?

• Thread starter intwo
  • Start date
In summary: .Hmmm - it does not seem to consider my iPad to be a mobile device. IMO this is a good thing.Tablets are considered desktop because of their large screen size.
intwo
When I access physics forums from my mobile phone (iPhone), I cannot view the normal forum. There is a "normal version" button, but clicking it does not change anything. I enjoy reading posts on the train, but it's rather difficult to navigate. Is there any way that I can disable the mobile version? I noticed a similar post, but the problem seems to remain unresolved.

And there are still ads on the mobile site for users with subscriptions. I see that it was discussed here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
intwo said:
When I access physics forums from my mobile phone (iPhone), I cannot view the normal forum. There is a "normal version" button, but clicking it does not change anything. I enjoy reading posts on the train, but it's rather difficult to navigate. Is there any way that I can disable the mobile version? I noticed a similar post, but the problem seems to remain unresolved.

And there are still ads on the mobile site for users with subscriptions. I see that it was discussed here.

Thanks!

I would suggest using the Tapatalk app for better mobile browsing.

For those of us who are not-so-frequent-to-pf, spending 165 Rupees (as in India) for tapatalk doesn't seem to be a good idea now. I think having the normal version (with the ads), accessible in mobile devices would be better as an option for us and the site. Another problem with the mobile version is the absence of post numbers which are frequently referred to in long threads. And I would have reported a lot of inappropriate posts, mostly spammers trying to use pf for advertising their services, if I had the option in the mobile version.

I wonder if it is that difficult to get the normal version accessible in mobile devices or are there other factors I've missed?

bump?

surajt88 said:
I wonder if it is that difficult to get the normal version accessible in mobile devices or are there other factors I've missed?

There is a function that detects mobile devices and it auto switches to the mobile skin. At the moment I am not sure how to flag it off.

Been trying to get back to PF.
I have struggled and at last have
This is after wasting valueble data bundles in google apps store downloading PF for androids. plain google search gave me this link.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There is a function that detects mobile devices and it auto switches to the mobile skin. At the moment I am not sure how to flag it off.

Hmmm - it does not seem to consider my iPad to be a mobile device. IMO this is a good thing.

Tablets are considered desktop because of their large screen size

1. How do I disable the mobile version on my subscription account?

To disable the mobile version on your subscription account, you will need to access your account settings. From there, you can navigate to the "Mobile Version" option and toggle it off. This will disable the mobile version and return your forum to the desktop version.

2. Can I disable ads on my subscription account?

Yes, you can disable ads on your subscription account by accessing your account settings and navigating to the "Ads" option. From there, you can toggle off the option to show ads on your forum. Keep in mind that this option may not be available on all subscription plans.

3. Will disabling the mobile version affect my forum's functionality?

No, disabling the mobile version will not affect your forum's functionality. It will simply switch your forum to the desktop version for all users, regardless of their device. Your forum will still function the same as it did before.

4. Is there a way to only disable ads on the mobile version?

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to disable ads only on the mobile version. If you want to disable ads, it will affect both the desktop and mobile versions of your forum.

5. Can I re-enable the mobile version after disabling it?

Yes, you can re-enable the mobile version at any time by accessing your account settings and toggling the "Mobile Version" option back on. Your forum will then revert back to the mobile version for users accessing it on their mobile devices.