Parallel flow pipe network help

In summary, the problem involves a pressurized flow with two pipes, where the flow going in must equal the flow going out to the two pipes. The head loss of Pipe 1 must equal the head loss of Pipe 2, and the friction factor for each pipe is needed to solve the equations. The friction factor can be calculated using the Swamee and Jain formula, but is dependent on the Reynolds Number, which is dependent on the flow velocity, which is ultimately dependent on the flow rate of each pipe. To find the total pressure loss of the system, one can assume no frictional losses and solve for the velocities using loss coefficients for each pipe. The pressure drop in each pipe is the same, and can be calculated using
hydronicengr
Let's say I have a simple parallel flow problem as shown in the attachment. The flow is pressurized and the downstream of the return goes back to a piping system that is negligible. It does not vent to atmosphere.

I've tried reading up on the subject, but I got stuck at a certain point. At point A, I know that the flow going in must equal the flow going out to the two pipes. Therefore, it will look like Q = Q1+Q2. Expanding Q1 and Q2 gives me V*A for each respective pipe.

I also know that the head loss of Pipe 1 must equal the head loss of Pipe 2. Expanding those equations, I find that I am faced with an unknown, which is the friction factor for each pipe. The friction factor can be explicitly calculated using the Swamee and Jain formula, but is dependent on the Reynolds Number, which is dependent on the flow velocity, which is ultimately dependent on the flow rate of each of the pipes. After getting the friction factor, everything else is easy. Simply plug the velocities from the head loss equations back into the Q formula shown above and solve for the unknown.

I know one can attain the correct friction factor value by many iterations, but is there a way without doing iterations by hand or by Excel and not fancy software?

Also, how would I find the total pressure loss of the system?

Thanks!

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 538
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd say assume no frictional losses, then solve in terms of bend losses etc. You can then obtain V1 in terms of V2,eg. V1= sqrt(k2/k1)V2 (Where k is the sum of the loss coefficients ,the Ks will vary for each pipe.). Then plug that into Q=A1V1 + A2V2 to get the value of V2, and subsequently Q2 and Q1. The pressure drop in each pipe is the same, so your pressure drop per unit weight (in metres) = k1(V1^2)/2g or k2(v2^2)/2g.
Hope this helps

What is a parallel flow pipe network?

A parallel flow pipe network is a system of interconnected pipes that are arranged in parallel, meaning they run side by side. This type of pipe network is commonly used in plumbing, irrigation, and HVAC systems.

What are the benefits of a parallel flow pipe network?

A parallel flow pipe network allows for equal distribution of fluid or gas, minimizes pressure drops, and provides redundancy in case of a pipe failure. It also allows for easier maintenance and repairs as each pipe can be isolated and shut off individually.

How do you calculate the flow rate in a parallel flow pipe network?

The flow rate in a parallel flow pipe network is calculated by adding the flow rates of each pipe together. This is because the fluid or gas can flow through each pipe simultaneously, unlike in a series flow pipe network where the flow rate is determined by the smallest pipe.

What is the difference between a parallel flow pipe network and a series flow pipe network?

In a parallel flow pipe network, the pipes are arranged side by side and the fluid or gas can flow through each pipe simultaneously. In a series flow pipe network, the pipes are connected one after the other and the flow rate is determined by the smallest pipe.

How do you troubleshoot problems in a parallel flow pipe network?

To troubleshoot problems in a parallel flow pipe network, you can check for leaks, blockages, or pressure drops in each individual pipe. You can also use flow meters to measure the flow rate in each pipe and compare it to the expected flow rate. If there are discrepancies, further investigation may be needed to determine the cause of the problem.