National Instruments MultiSim, or something else?

In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for better software, specifically looking for something sustainable and reliable. They have previously used NI MultiSim and DesignSpark, but are open to other options and are seeking input from various forums. They mention the possibility of a student discount and ask for any industry standards or widely used programs.
OJFord
I've been long looking for some better software.

I haven't previously paid, but I'm prepared to pay a small amount for something worthwhile. (Student discount helps!)

I've been playing with a now expired evaluation license of NI MultiSim, which seems pretty good.

I also quite liked DesignSpark from RS, but MultiSim seems like a more sustainable/reliable idea.

Obviously there's only so much variation between them anyway - but is there an 'industry standard', or one that, in your experience, is pretty prominent throughout industry?

Thanks,

(Oh and yes, for the sake of being transparent I have posted this on a couple of other forums too - just because I want a range of responses.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
OJFord said:
I've been long looking for some better software.

I haven't previously paid, but I'm prepared to pay a small amount for something worthwhile. (Student discount helps!)

I've been playing with a now expired evaluation license of NI MultiSim, which seems pretty good.

I also quite liked DesignSpark from RS, but MultiSim seems like a more sustainable/reliable idea.

Obviously there's only so much variation between them anyway - but is there an 'industry standard', or one that, in your experience, is pretty prominent throughout industry?

Thanks,

(Oh and yes, for the sake of being transparent I have posted this on a couple of other forums too - just because I want a range of responses.)

Here are a few threads from the EE forum where we discuss different SPICE programs:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=558549

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=224535

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=142800

I've not used MultiSim myself. I use MicroCAP, and have looked at PSPICE in the past.

1. What is National Instruments MultiSim?

National Instruments MultiSim is a software program used for circuit design and simulation. It allows users to design and test electronic circuits using a graphical interface, and provides accurate and detailed results.

2. How does MultiSim differ from other circuit design software?

MultiSim stands out from other circuit design software due to its user-friendly interface, extensive library of components, and powerful simulation capabilities. It also integrates seamlessly with other National Instruments products, allowing for a more comprehensive and efficient design process.

3. Can MultiSim be used for both analog and digital circuits?

Yes, MultiSim supports both analog and digital circuit design and simulation. It also has the ability to simulate mixed-signal circuits, which combine both analog and digital components.

4. Is MultiSim suitable for beginners in circuit design?

While MultiSim may seem complex at first, it does offer a user-friendly interface and various tutorials and resources to help beginners get started. It also has a wide range of features that can be utilized by more experienced users.

5. Can MultiSim be used for educational purposes?

Yes, MultiSim is commonly used in educational settings for teaching circuit design and simulation. It offers a comprehensive platform for students to learn and practice electronic circuit design, and also provides access to virtual instruments and real-world components.