Finite Element Stress Analysis: Best Way to Get Accurate Results?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the best way to do Finite Element stress analysis. The speaker is looking for a versatile approach and mentions using Hooke's law equations to start with. They are having trouble getting accurate results and are considering other methods or assumptions. They also mention finding open source FE programs and trying to write their own code for a better understanding. The conversation ends with a request for recommendations on the best assumptions to use for FE analysis.
OffTheRecord
What's the best way to do Finite Element stress analysis?

By that, I mean I'm looking for the best set of general fundamental assumptions to start with. In your opinion.

I ask because I'm trying to write a computer code in Matlab that I can use as a general tool for who-knows-what sort of problem might come up. I want it to be versatile. Precision is second to versatility, because I can always find ways to simplify problems when they arise. I want to start from a fairly general set of underlying assumptions.

Here's what I've tried so far: the Hooke's law normal and shear stress equations, in terms of strain. Namely, σ = Eε (plus some function of Poisson's ratio), and τ = Gγ.
σ is normal stress caused by 2 teeny weeny pieces of material moving towards each other.
τ is shear stress caused by 2 teeny weeny pieces of material sliding past each other.
ε is essentially the amount of stretching caused by σ.
γ is the angle by which one side of said teeny weeny piece gets dragged forward compared to the other side, by τ.
E and G are natural constants.

The problem I'm having: when I plug those equations into a big matrix full of many tiny little pieces, I don't quite get the right answers. I'm plugging these equations into a classic cantilever-bending model (i.e. guy standing on end of diving board), and plotting the results to see if the big picture looks right. Sometimes it does look almost right, but it's very finicky. If I change the size of the system or the natural constants E and G even slightly, I tend to come out with a wildly different-looking beam each time.

Anyone know a better way to model a solids problem? Ignore shear? Add some more assumptions? Let me know your thoughts.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to write your own software, get a good book on the FE method, or go to
http://www.colorado.edu/engineering/CAS/courses.d/IFEM.d/

(The UC website seems to be off line right now - maybe they are recovering from wildfire damage or something.)

But if you just want to create FE models and run them, getting an open source FE program and will save you months (or even years) of programming work.

yeah... i read a book and found some open source stuff. I kinda want to write my own anyway to get some understanding of the internals.

I actually found a site where the guy wrote a bunch of FEA's in Matlab... got the code... read through it. It was extremely complicated: more so than I deem necessary. So I went to the library and found a book on it. Turns out the book I picked up used the exact same methods he did (down to the variable names)... I'm pretty sure he read the same book. That was equally overcomplicated.

I don't really want (or need) to talk about the programming. I'd prefer to discuss the engineering aspect. What are the basic assumptions that work best?

on a side-note, that link was very helpful!

1. What is finite element stress analysis?

Finite element stress analysis is a numerical method used in engineering to analyze the stress and strain of a structure or component. It breaks down a complex structure into smaller, more manageable elements and uses mathematical equations to calculate the stress and strain at each element. These results are then combined to give an overall understanding of the structural behavior.

2. Why is finite element stress analysis important?

Finite element stress analysis allows engineers to accurately predict the behavior of a structure under different loading conditions, which is crucial for ensuring its safety and reliability. It also helps in identifying potential failure points and optimizing the design for better performance.

3. What are the steps involved in performing a finite element stress analysis?

The first step is to create a finite element model of the structure using specialized software. Then, the boundary conditions and loading conditions are applied to the model. Next, the solver solves the mathematical equations to determine the stress and strain at each element. Finally, the results are post-processed and analyzed to understand the structural behavior.

4. What are some common sources of error in finite element stress analysis?

Some common sources of error in finite element stress analysis include simplifying the model too much, using incorrect material properties, and not considering all the relevant loading conditions. It is important to carefully validate the model and input parameters to ensure accurate results.

5. How can I ensure accurate results in a finite element stress analysis?

To get accurate results in a finite element stress analysis, it is important to carefully validate the model and input parameters. This can be done by comparing the results with analytical solutions or experimental data. It is also essential to use appropriate meshing techniques and refine the mesh in areas of high stress gradients. Additionally, it is important to consider all relevant loading conditions and use accurate material properties.