Exploring a Parabolic Velocity Profile: Basics & Calculations

In summary, the volumetric throughput rate is equal to the velocity integrated over the cross section area of the pipe. The average velocity is equal to the volumetric throughput rate divided by the total cross sectional area.
sifr
Engineering news on Phys.org

sifr said:
I know it must relate to the velocity profile being a parabola shape and the max velocity being at the peak of the parabola -

I wanted to know whether there are actual calculations I can do to show this?

I only know the basics so as much details as possible would be great help

http://blogs.tlt.psu.edu/projects/accessibilitydemo/examples/VelocityProfileLaminar.png

The volumetric throughput rate is equal to the velocity integrated over the cross section area of the pipe. The average velocity is equal to the volumetric throughput rate divided by the total cross sectional area. See Bird, Steward, and Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena.

A parabolic profile only applies to laminar flow. In turbulent flow, the factor is much less than 2.

You are looking for the derivation of laminar flow through a pipe. Most undergraduate fluid mechanics books derive this velocity profile through the Navier-Stokes equations. My favorite is Granger's "Fluid Mechanics"; its a cheap dover book more detailed than many modern texts. Assuming its parabolic (that is to say, without justifying it) the sum of the velocities along the diameter of the pipe divide by the diameter will equal the average velocity. This is analgous to finding the vertex in high school precalx.

Aero51 said:
You are looking for the derivation of laminar flow through a pipe. Most undergraduate fluid mechanics books derive this velocity profile through the Navier-Stokes equations. My favorite is Granger's "Fluid Mechanics"; its a cheap dover book more detailed than many modern texts. Assuming its parabolic (that is to say, without justifying it) the sum of the velocities along the diameter of the pipe divide by the diameter will equal the average velocity. This is analgous to finding the vertex in high school precalx.

The line in bold above is not correct. You have to weight the velocities in terms of the differential areas.

dQ = 2∏r v dr

You then divide, not by the total radius or the diameter, but by the total cross sectional area ∏R2

Oh sorry i was thinking for a strictly 2d profile. I probably should have checked first.

What is a parabolic velocity profile?

A parabolic velocity profile is a mathematical model that describes the change in velocity of an object as it moves through space. It is characterized by a curved, parabolic shape and is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects.

How is a parabolic velocity profile calculated?

The parabolic velocity profile is calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This equation is derived from the fundamental laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

What are the applications of a parabolic velocity profile?

A parabolic velocity profile has many applications in physics and engineering, including analyzing the motion of projectiles, calculating the trajectory of rockets and missiles, and designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.

What are the limitations of a parabolic velocity profile?

While a parabolic velocity profile is a useful tool for analyzing the motion of objects, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the object is moving in a vacuum and does not take into account factors such as air resistance and friction, which can affect the object's actual velocity. It is also limited to objects moving in a straight line and cannot accurately model the motion of objects with complex trajectories.

How is a parabolic velocity profile experimentally verified?

A parabolic velocity profile can be experimentally verified by conducting motion experiments and collecting data on the velocity of objects at different points in time. This data can then be plotted on a graph, and if the resulting curve closely resembles a parabola, it provides evidence that the object's velocity follows a parabolic profile.