Need advice on getting back into Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to become an expert again in mechanical engineering and design after being away from the field for a significant amount of time. They have been brushing up on SolidWorks and reviewing with Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design, but are looking for other recommended books and resources. One suggestion is to review for and take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam to refresh basic knowledge and show proficiency. Other suggested books include Lindeburg's FE Review Manual and EIT Reference Manual. It is also suggested to practice problem-solving by attempting to solve questions posted on forums.
MITranger
I need advice! After graduating college in 2007, I've been in the Army fighting wars and the like, instead of touching anything mechanical engineering. I recently left the service, and was lucky enough to land a job in manufacturing/automations that I'm extremely happy with. We essentially build high-cost, low-volume robots and machines to manufacture or modify our customers' parts and products. I am absolutely prepared for the leadership/communications component, but undoubtedly ill-prepared for anything engineering or mechanical in nature. I roughly recall broad principles like St. Venant's, but I'm utterly frustrated in having retained marginal knowledge with math, analysis, etc. What's the best "good enough" and timely approach to becoming an expert again in mechanical engineering and design? Given the industry I'm in, which topics should I focus on? I've been brushing up on SolidWorks (would have started earlier, but the $5K bill wasn't exactly my cup of tea). I've also been reviewing with Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design; what other books are must-have? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should consider reviewing for and taking the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. It would help you review all basic topics in Mechanical engineering, and show that you still know them (by passing the test).

Take a look at these books:
Lindeburg- FE Review Manual
Lindeburg- EIT Reference Manual

Thanks, Mech_Engineer. Will definitely pick up a copy ASAP. Any other books? I (re)learn fairly quickly--how much time should I dedicate before taking the test? I am working 60+ hrs a week.

In a much less formal way you may be able to relearn some material simply by trying to solve the questions some users post on the forums.

1. How can I update my skills and knowledge in Mechanical Engineering after a break?

There are a few ways to update your skills and knowledge in Mechanical Engineering after a break. One option is to enroll in online courses or attend workshops and conferences to learn about new developments and technologies in the field. Another option is to volunteer or intern at a company to gain hands-on experience and network with professionals. Additionally, reading industry publications and staying up-to-date with industry news can also help you stay current in your field.

2. Is it possible to re-enter the field of Mechanical Engineering after a long break?

Yes, it is possible to re-enter the field of Mechanical Engineering after a long break. While it may take some effort to update your skills and knowledge, there are many resources available to help you do so. Additionally, highlighting any transferable skills and experiences from your break can also be beneficial in showcasing your value to potential employers.

3. How important is networking for getting back into Mechanical Engineering?

Networking can be very important for getting back into Mechanical Engineering. By connecting with professionals in the industry, you can gain insight into current trends and job opportunities. Additionally, networking can help you build relationships and potentially lead to job referrals or recommendations in the future.

4. What skills and qualities are most sought after in Mechanical Engineering?

Some of the most sought after skills and qualities in Mechanical Engineering include strong technical knowledge and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work well in a team. Communication skills and adaptability are also highly valued in this field.

5. How can I stand out during the job search process as someone returning to Mechanical Engineering?

To stand out during the job search process, it can be helpful to highlight any relevant experience or skills gained during your break, such as project management or leadership roles. It can also be beneficial to tailor your resume and cover letter to each job you apply for, and to showcase your enthusiasm and passion for the field in your application materials and interviews.