Missing element in ANSYS classic

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of not being able to find the 2D spar element in the list while working with Ansys Classic. It is suggested to create this element using a script, specifically the LINK180 command. It is also mentioned that some old elements may still be available and usable, but may require additional steps such as setting behavior with real constants or keyoptions.
mechcrazy
while working with ansys classic, while adding link element 2D spar is not available in the list,do i need to install it additionally? if yes how? or otherwise what can i do?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

I think you can create this element by script. Is it link180 ?
I always encounter this problem with pipe16-18-59 or link8-10-180, often used in the old ansys versions. You can use old elements even If they are not listed in your last ansys version because replaced by new updated elements. However it is not possible by mouse clics in GUI, the only way is the APDL language in GUI or by script.

That is an unsupported element type but it is still available.

ET,1,LINK180

The above command sets Element Type 1 to be LINK180.

There are lots of undocumented commands that are still available due to legacy issues.

Sure, for link180 as example, you have to set the behavior (tension/compression) with real constant (before v14.5) or with keyoption (in v14.5) thus function of your Ansys version. Consequently be carefull because these types of evolution/modification could be miss in release note.

1. What is the "missing element" error in ANSYS classic?

The "missing element" error in ANSYS classic occurs when the software is unable to find an element in the model or simulation. This can happen if an element is not properly defined or if it is missing from the model altogether.

2. How can I troubleshoot the "missing element" error in ANSYS classic?

The first step in troubleshooting the "missing element" error is to check the model for any missing or incorrectly defined elements. You can also try to simplify the model by removing any unnecessary elements or refining the mesh. If the error persists, it may be helpful to consult ANSYS documentation or seek assistance from a technical support team.

3. Can the "missing element" error be caused by incorrect material properties?

Yes, the "missing element" error can be caused by incorrect material properties. If the element in question is made of a material that is not defined in the model, ANSYS will not be able to find it and will return the error. Double check all material properties to ensure they are correctly defined.

4. Is there a way to prevent the "missing element" error in ANSYS classic?

While it is not always possible to prevent the "missing element" error, there are a few steps you can take to minimize the chances of it occurring. These include carefully defining all elements in the model, ensuring that all material properties are correctly defined, and regularly checking for any errors or inconsistencies in the model.

5. Can the "missing element" error affect the accuracy of my simulation results?

Yes, the "missing element" error can affect the accuracy of your simulation results. If an important element is missing from the model, it may not be properly accounted for in the simulation, leading to inaccurate results. It is important to address this error as soon as possible to ensure the accuracy of your simulations.