How can I increase the suction power of my cordless vacuum broom?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of poor suction in a cordless vacuum broom and the possibility of increasing the volts or amps to improve its performance. However, this is not recommended as it may damage the motor and cause potential hazards. The design and construction of efficient compressors is complex and difficult to replicate without specialized equipment. Therefore, it is unlikely that the issue can be fixed without professional assistance.
slee95
I was wondering about the how the suction works? I got this cordless vacuum broom for free and it has terrible suction. It runs on like 7 or 8 recharge c battery's and I was wondering if i increased the amperage or voltage would the motor run faster and have more suction?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would not recommend increasing the volts/amps past the design specs, this will likely cause the motor to have a reduced lifetime, and may actually be dangerous to you (electrocution, motor catching fire / bursting).

In terms of how these work, many of them are turbine based - i.e. a radial turbine. But there are many many variations as you can imagine.

In general I would say that you won't be able to fix it yourself. The parts may be very tight tolerance that you can't replicate without CNC machines.

slee95 said:
I got this cordless vacuum broom for free and it has terrible suction.

The clue is probably in the word "free". Designing and building an efficent compressor isn't easy. Probably the best you can hope for is that it produces a fairly high volume of air flow, not a high suction pressure with the inlet blocked.

So increased air flow to the motor should increase the suction of the vacuum?

A vacuum motor works by creating a pressure difference between the inside and outside of the vacuum cleaner. This pressure difference is created by an electric motor that spins a fan or impeller, which draws air in through an intake port and out through an exhaust port. The air being drawn in carries with it any debris or dust on the floor or surface being cleaned, and the exhaust port expels the air and debris into a bag or canister.

The suction power of a vacuum cleaner is directly related to the strength and speed of the motor. Increasing the amperage or voltage may increase the speed of the motor, but it can also cause damage to the motor and other components of the vacuum cleaner. Additionally, the suction power is also affected by the design and efficiency of the intake and exhaust ports, as well as the filter system.

In the case of your cordless vacuum broom, the low suction power could be due to a variety of factors, such as a clogged filter, a damaged intake or exhaust port, or a weak motor. I would suggest checking and cleaning the filter, as well as inspecting the intake and exhaust ports for any damage. If the suction is still weak, it may be necessary to replace the motor or take the vacuum to a professional for further diagnosis and repair.

1. How does a vacuum motor create suction?

A vacuum motor works by using an electric fan to create suction. The fan spins inside the motor, drawing air in through an intake port and pushing it out through an exhaust port. This creates a vacuum effect, which sucks up dirt and debris into the vacuum cleaner.

2. What type of motor is used in a vacuum cleaner?

Most vacuum cleaners use a type of electric motor called a universal motor. This type of motor is compact, lightweight, and can run on both AC and DC power. It is also powerful enough to create the necessary suction for a vacuum cleaner.

3. How does the motor power the rotating brush?

The motor in a vacuum cleaner also powers the rotating brush, which helps to loosen dirt and debris from carpets and upholstery. This is typically done through a belt drive system, where the motor turns a belt that is connected to the brush.

4. What happens if the motor overheats?

If the motor in a vacuum cleaner overheats, it can cause the vacuum to shut off or stop working altogether. This is why it is important to regularly clean and maintain the vacuum, as a buildup of dirt and debris can cause the motor to overheat.

5. How long can a vacuum motor last?

The lifespan of a vacuum motor can vary depending on the quality of the motor and how well the vacuum is maintained. On average, a vacuum motor can last anywhere from 5-10 years with proper care. However, if the motor does fail, it can usually be replaced without having to replace the entire vacuum cleaner.