NASA Curiosity Rover Mars entry parachute deceleration question

In summary, the conversation involves a request for a deceleration graph of the 7 minutes of terror during Curiosity Rover's landing on Mars, with a suggestion to search for it online and a mention of contacting JPL for the data.
Brynjolf
Can someone please point me to a deceleration graph over the 7 minutes of terror from the 13,000 mph re-entry speed through to the parachute release and landing of the Curiosity Rover on Mars?

Thanks very much. :smile:

PS: Mods please feel free to move this topic to the appropriate forum section if necessary.

Brynjolf
ψΔψ

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "curiosity landing". You should be able to find something.

You know, I also thought after reading this that it be really interesting to see a graph like that. I looked everywhere--no joy. Maybe this would be a good question to fire off to Mohawk Guy at JPL. Surely they have the data...

mars-rover-curiosity-final-descent-640x445.jpg

Hello Brynjolf,

Thank you for your question. I am happy to provide a response to your inquiry about the deceleration graph of NASA's Curiosity Rover during its entry, descent, and landing on Mars.

The 7 minutes of terror, as it is commonly known, refers to the period of time during which the spacecraft must autonomously navigate and slow down from its entry speed of 13,000 mph to a safe landing on the Martian surface. This process involves multiple stages, including atmospheric entry, parachute deployment, and powered descent.

While NASA has not released a specific deceleration graph for the entire 7 minutes of terror, they have provided information on the deceleration rates during each stage of the process. According to NASA's Mars Science Laboratory Entry, Descent, and Landing (EDL) Timeline, the peak deceleration during atmospheric entry was approximately 12 g's (12 times the force of Earth's gravity). This gradually decreased to about 9 g's during parachute deployment, and then to 1.7 g's during the powered descent stage.

The exact deceleration graph may vary depending on factors such as atmospheric conditions and spacecraft performance, but the overall trend shows a gradual decrease in deceleration as the spacecraft approaches the surface.

I hope this information helps to answer your question. For more detailed information on the Curiosity Rover's entry, descent, and landing, I recommend checking out NASA's official website or publications.

Best,

What is the purpose of the parachute on the NASA Curiosity Rover during its entry into Mars?

The parachute on the NASA Curiosity Rover is used to slow down the spacecraft during its entry into the Martian atmosphere. This allows for a controlled descent onto the surface of Mars.

How does the parachute on the NASA Curiosity Rover work?

The parachute works by creating drag against the Martian atmosphere, which helps slow down the spacecraft. It is made of a durable, heat-resistant material and has a diameter of 51 feet.

Why is it important for the parachute to be able to withstand high temperatures?

During the entry process, the parachute experiences high temperatures due to the friction of the Martian atmosphere. It is important for the parachute to be able to withstand these temperatures to ensure a safe descent onto the Martian surface.

How long does the parachute stay deployed during the entry process?

The parachute is deployed around seven minutes before the rover lands on the surface of Mars. It stays deployed for about 2 minutes, until the rover reaches an altitude of about 1.2 miles above the surface.

What is the significance of the parachute on the NASA Curiosity Rover mission?

The parachute played a crucial role in the successful landing of the Curiosity Rover on Mars. Without it, the rover would not have been able to safely enter the Martian atmosphere and land on the surface. The data collected during the parachute's deployment and descent also provides valuable information for future missions to Mars.