How to put a matrix in its block diagonal form (Mathematica)

In summary, creating a matrix in Mathematica can be done using the "Array" command or by directly inputting elements into a list and using the "MatrixForm" command. To put a matrix in block diagonal form, the "JordanDecomposition" or "DiagonalMatrix" commands can be used. The "MatrixPlot" command can be used to visualize the block diagonal form of a matrix. To convert a block diagonal matrix back to its original form, the "KroneckerProduct" command can be used with the matrix obtained from the "JordanDecomposition" or "DiagonalMatrix" commands and its inverse.
mvww
Hello.
I got a 10x10 matrix that I know that has a block diagonal form. How can I put it in that form, using Mathematica?

Regards,
Marcus.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do I create a matrix in Mathematica?

In Mathematica, matrices can be created by using the command "Array" or by typing the elements directly into a list and using the "MatrixForm" command to display it. For example, to create a 3x3 matrix with the elements 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, you can use either of the following commands:

MatrixForm[Array[{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}, {3, 3}]] or MatrixForm[{{1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6}, {7, 8, 9}}]

2. How do I put a matrix in block diagonal form?

To put a matrix in block diagonal form, you can use the "JordanDecomposition" command in Mathematica. This command will return a list of matrices that represent the block diagonal form of the original matrix. For example, if you have a matrix A, you can use the command "JordanDecomposition[A]" to obtain the block diagonal form of A.

3. Can I put a matrix in block diagonal form without using the "JordanDecomposition" command?

Yes, you can also put a matrix in block diagonal form by using the "DiagonalMatrix" command. This command creates a diagonal matrix from a list of elements. To put a matrix A in block diagonal form, you can use the command "DiagonalMatrix[Eigenvalues[A]]". This will create a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues of A on the diagonal, which will result in the block diagonal form of A.

4. Can I visualize the block diagonal form of a matrix in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the "MatrixPlot" command in Mathematica to visualize the block diagonal form of a matrix. This command creates a plot of the matrix elements, with different colors representing different values. To use this command, you can simply input the block diagonal matrix obtained from the "JordanDecomposition" or "DiagonalMatrix" commands.

5. How do I convert a block diagonal matrix back to its original form?

To convert a block diagonal matrix back to its original form, you can use the "KroneckerProduct" command in Mathematica. This command computes the Kronecker product of two matrices. To convert a block diagonal matrix A to its original form, you can use the command "KroneckerProduct[P, Q]" where P is the matrix obtained from the "JordanDecomposition" or "DiagonalMatrix" commands, and Q is the inverse of P. This will result in the original matrix A.