Can a wave rotate about its axis?

In summary: Can a transverse wave "rotate" about its longitudial axis (kind of like an airplane's "roll" maneuver)?U refer to a plane wave...??I wouldn't call that "wave rotation".Other things wan rotate,e.g.VECTORS... :wink:
bomba923
Can a wave rotate about its axis??

Can a transverse wave "rotate" about its longitudial axis (kind of like an airplane's "roll" maneuver)?

If it could, i don't think we could detect it; if it did, i don't think anything will really get affected. But could it?? Not that it would...i mean, there's nothing making it rotate (or is there something??)...but could it?

For example, when light diffracts in the air--well, it spreads, but could the wave itself "rotate" about its longitudinal axis (with all that spreading and diffracting)? not that it would affect anything, but could it??

Physics news on Phys.org
bomba923 said:
Can a transverse wave "rotate" about its longitudial axis (kind of like an airplane's "roll" maneuver)?

U refer to a plane wave...??I wouldn't call that "wave rotation".Other things wan rotate,e.g.VECTORS... :wink:

bomba923 said:
For example, when light diffracts in the air--well, it spreads,

Can u please expose shortly the theory which asserts that light diffracts in the air...?Maybe i should read again those 350 pages in Born & Wolf...

Daniel.

A circularly polarized light wave does what you want.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

To make a linearly polarized beam rotate, you make it go through an "optically active" material or use the magnetic Faraday effect. The difference between the two are being discussed here :

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=62808

Though the effect is not very important in natural systems, it is extremely important for many optical devices.

Circular polarisers are used in photography to deepen blue skies and reduce reflections on plane surfaces, - linear polarisers do the same job but tend to interfere with autofocus and TTL metering systems.

1. Can a wave rotate about its axis?

No, a wave cannot rotate about its axis.

2. What is the axis of a wave?

The axis of a wave is an imaginary line that runs through the center of the wave, parallel to the direction of motion.

3. Can a transverse wave rotate about its axis?

No, a transverse wave cannot rotate about its axis. It only oscillates perpendicular to its direction of motion.

4. Can a longitudinal wave rotate about its axis?

No, a longitudinal wave cannot rotate about its axis. It only compresses and expands along its direction of motion.

5. Why can't a wave rotate about its axis?

A wave is a transfer of energy through a medium, and it does not have a physical structure that would allow it to rotate. It only moves in a back-and-forth or up-and-down motion.