What's a good university/college for medical physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in pursuing a career in medical physics and their desire to skip their master's degree and go straight to a PhD. The conversation also mentions a list of schools that offer programs in medical physics and factors to consider when choosing a program. The individual also asks for advice on what they can do now to help achieve their goals.
Maurice7510
I'm in my 3rd year of a physics Honours BSc and I'm looking into a career in medical physics. I just wanted to know what are some schools that offer programs in medical physics, but a little more importantly, is there any conceivable way I can skip my masters? I'd like to go straight to Ph.D if that's in any way possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the list:
http://www.campep.org/campeplstgrad.asp

As to which ones are better than others, it really depends on what you want out of your degree. I've posted in other threads about what I personally would look for. Generally I'd say to look for:
- a strong research component, and projects that you find interesting
- a strong physics component
- professors with protected academic time
- clinical exposure and opportunities for QA experience

As for skipping the MSc, that will depend on the program. In most Canadian programs for example, you're admitted to an MSc and then you can either complete it or simply advance into a PhD program after a successful year. The thing is, even if you do an MSc, if you carry on into a PhD, the PhD is likely to take less time than a lone PhD, because you will have already completed your coursework and been working in the field.

Thanks a lot, that helps quite a bit. I was wondering what kind of things I can start doing now in order to help me with my goals

1. What is the difference between a good university and a top university for medical physics?

A good university for medical physics will have a strong program with highly qualified faculty and access to state-of-the-art equipment. A top university will also have a strong reputation and a history of producing successful graduates in the field.

2. How do I know if a university's medical physics program is accredited?

You can check the accreditation status of a medical physics program through the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs (CAMPEP). This organization ensures that accredited programs meet the standards and requirements for quality education in medical physics.

3. Are there any specific courses or concentrations that a good medical physics program should offer?

A good medical physics program should offer a variety of courses in physics, biology, and medical imaging techniques. It should also provide opportunities for hands-on experience through laboratory work, research projects, and clinical rotations.

4. How important is the location of a university for medical physics?

The location of a university for medical physics may be important for several reasons. First, it may affect the availability of clinical training opportunities and access to specialized equipment. Second, it may also impact the cost of living and overall expenses for students.

5. What are some key factors to consider when choosing a university for medical physics?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a university for medical physics include the program's accreditation status, faculty qualifications and research interests, clinical training opportunities, and the overall reputation of the university. It's also important to consider factors such as location, cost, and potential career opportunities for graduates.