Someone explain what this is actually saying?

• Thread starter cmmcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, Michael Jackson had a patent for an "anti-gravity" move on stage that allowed him to lean out over his center of mass without falling over. The design involved sliding a pre-placed stage attachment into the heel of the shoe, which would then hook into a peg embedded in the stage. This allowed him to lean further than normal and create a visually stunning effect. Patent applications must cover all aspects of the invention to prevent others from copying it, but in court, the claims section is what is used to determine the validity of the patent. A patent is awarded for something new and unique, giving the inventor an exclusive right to their invention for around 20 years.
cmmcnamara
Hey guys, I was just reading an article on a patent Michael Jackson had under his name for one of his "anti-gravity" moves on stage, one which allowed him to lean out over his center of mass without falling over. However in the article I'm a bit confused exactly what is going on with the design...anyone care to take a look?

http://blogs.archives.gov/aotus/?p=2574

It seems to me that it some how allows the wearer to slide a pre-placed stage attachment into the heel of the shoe allowing him to have something to balance him out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
his shoes hook into a peg embedded in the stage allowing him to lean over further than is normal.

imagine your feet are superglued to the floor then you'd be able to lean forward quite a bit that's basically what Michael Jackson's invention allows with the further feature that you can dance around and then slide your heel into it to make it look more magical.

Yea that's exactly what I was thinking it was saying but the wording was confusing me a bit

when lawyers write patent applications they must ensure that there are no loose ends in the description and that the patent covers as much area as possible. This prevents others from boxing the patent in or writing a new patent that supercedes the original.

But when a patent is litigated in court, the claims section is what is really used. Each claim identifies an important component of the patent.

Basically a patent teaches you something new and unique. If its new and unique enough then the Patent Office will award you a patent with a 20 year or so exclusive right to your invention.

I would say that the patent mentioned in the article is likely describing a device or mechanism designed to assist Michael Jackson in performing his famous "anti-gravity" move on stage. This move involved leaning out over his center of mass without falling over, and the patent may have been for a specialized shoe or attachment that helped him achieve this feat. The link provided in the post appears to be from the National Archives, so it may be worth looking into the patent itself for a more detailed understanding of the design.

1. What does "this" refer to in the statement?

In order to understand what "this" is referring to, you need to look at the context of the statement. "This" is a pronoun that typically refers to something mentioned previously or something that is about to be mentioned. It could also refer to something that is physically close to the speaker or writer.

2. How can I interpret the meaning of this statement?

To interpret the meaning of a statement, you need to break it down into smaller parts and analyze the language used. Look for key words and phrases that can help you understand the main idea. You may also need to consider the context and the tone of the statement to fully understand its meaning.

3. Is there a specific way to dissect the meaning of this statement?

There is no one specific way to analyze the meaning of a statement. However, some common strategies include identifying the subject, verb, and object of the sentence, as well as looking for any figurative language or literary devices used. It can also be helpful to consider the perspective and intention of the speaker or writer.

4. Can I ask for clarification if I don't understand what a statement is saying?

Yes, it is always okay to ask for clarification if you are unsure about the meaning of a statement. It shows that you are actively engaging with the material and seeking a deeper understanding. You can ask for clarification by restating the statement and asking for confirmation or by asking specific questions about parts that are unclear.

5. How do I know if I have correctly interpreted the meaning of a statement?

It can be difficult to determine if you have correctly interpreted the meaning of a statement, as it can be subjective. However, you can check your understanding by discussing the statement with others, doing further research, or asking for feedback from the speaker or writer. It's important to keep an open mind and be willing to revise your interpretation if new information is presented.