Electromagnetism Q: Charge Density & Total Charge Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the charge density and total charge of a charged cylinder with given dimensions and charge. The charge density is found to be 7/2π and the total charge is calculated to be (8π²a)/5. The individual providing the summary also points out a mistake in the integrand used in the calculation and suggests using the correct volume element, 2πrdrdz.
Monster007
Hi, studying for exam and checking if i am doing this question correctly ,

Q: Cylinder radius R=1m length L=2m exists in free space with no other charges nearby.
Cylinder volume is charged with uniform charge Q= 7C.

(a)Find the charge density in Coulombs per cubic metre.
(b) charge distribution now changes to p = a.s (s=radial distance from central axis of cylinder)
find the total charge.

Answer: (a) I think p=Q/V as uniform charge so;

p=7/(volume cylinder) = 7/2(pi)

(b) total charge =Q = integral(charge dens . volume)

hence Q= ∫∫∫(a.r).(2∏r2).r.dr.dθ.dz (where 0<θ<2∏, 0< z < 2, 0<r<1)

and doing the math i get : Q = (8∏2.a)/5

There are no answers to the questions in this course for some reason so hard to know if I am right or on completely wrong track so any help would be appreciated cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integrand, I think, is wrong. You are, I think, intending to integrate ρ dV, in which dV is the volume element. But instead of using the volume element, which is rdθ dr dz, you are using 2πr2 times this. You'd have spotted this if you'd considered the UNITS of your integrand.

The extra 2πr2 probably arises because you're mixing integration going right back to the basic volume element with integration by cylindrical shell - perfectly o.k in itself, but you can't mix the two methods - you're integrating too many times!

Last edited:
volume element is simply 2πrdrdz,what you have really written there(I integrated over angle because of symmetry)

1. What is charge density in electromagnetism?

Charge density in electromagnetism refers to the amount of electric charge per unit volume of a material or object. It is typically denoted by the symbol ρ and is measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m^3). This quantity is important in understanding how electric fields are generated and how they interact with matter.

2. How is charge density calculated?

Charge density can be calculated by dividing the total electric charge by the volume of the material or object. Mathematically, it can be expressed as ρ = Q/V, where Q is the total charge and V is the volume. In some cases, charge density can also be expressed as a function of position, taking into account how the charge is distributed throughout the material.

3. What is total charge in electromagnetism?

Total charge in electromagnetism refers to the sum of all the electric charges present in a given system or object. It is a fundamental quantity in electromagnetism and is often denoted by the symbol Q. Total charge can be either positive or negative, depending on the types and amounts of charges present.

4. How do you calculate total charge?

Total charge can be calculated by adding up all the individual electric charges present in a system. This can be done by summing the charges algebraically, taking into account their signs (positive or negative). If the charges are distributed throughout a volume, the total charge can also be calculated by integrating the charge density over the volume.

5. What are some applications of charge density and total charge calculations in electromagnetism?

Charge density and total charge calculations are important in various fields of science and technology, such as electronics, electricity and magnetism, and electrochemistry. They can be used to analyze and design circuits, understand the behavior of materials in electric fields, and predict the movement of charged particles. These calculations are also essential in studying and developing technologies like batteries, capacitors, and electric motors.