I with determaning the age of something by rust

• Thread starter coke+coke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Rust
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in determining the age of a knife they own, which they believe is from Pune city in India. The knife is a dagger and has some rusting, but may have been preserved in mud. The person's family thinks the knife was bought from merchants in Pune, but the merchants have not sold similar daggers in a few hundred or possibly even a thousand years. However, the person's great grandfather acquired the knife just 70 years ago during WWII and may have found it while digging a foxhole near a river. The person is looking for assistance and can be contacted via email.
coke+coke
I need some one that can look at the rusting of a knife and determine about how old the knife is, because I have a knife that is from Pune city India, and determine how old it is might help extend the range of how old the city is. The knife is more of a dagger and they haven’t used the term "Pune steel" since they specialized in weaponry 100,000 years ago. The knife doesn’t look that old by the rusting but may have been preserved in the mud I think it was found in. My family seems to think that my great grandpa bought it of the merchants there, but the merchants haven’t sold daggers like this for a couple 100, maybe even 1000 years. But my great grandpa got the knife just 70 years ago, in WWII so he couldn’t of bought it. I think he found it while he was digging a foxhole near a river. I need help... so email me at My email (the link is to my email) If you can help me and ill send you some pictures of my dagger. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The best way would be employing 14C-based age determination techniques, in my opinion. Consult the local nuclear research facility in the place you live.

Determining the age of an object by rust can be a challenging task, as there are many factors that can affect the rate of rusting. However, it is certainly possible to estimate the age of a knife based on its rusting patterns.

One important factor to consider is the composition of the knife. Different types of metal will rust at different rates, so knowing the material of the knife can provide important clues. Additionally, the environment in which the knife was stored or found can also impact the rate of rusting. For example, if the knife was buried in mud or kept in a dry, arid climate, it may have less rust than if it was exposed to moisture or saltwater.

Another important consideration is the history and context of the knife. In this case, the fact that the knife is from Pune city, India, and is a type of dagger suggests that it may have been used for weaponry. It is also worth noting that the term "Pune steel" has not been used for 100,000 years, indicating that the knife may be significantly older than that.

However, the fact that the knife was found in good condition and was still being sold 70 years ago suggests that it may not be as old as initially thought. It is possible that the knife was preserved in the mud it was found in, which could have slowed down the rusting process. Additionally, it is unlikely that the merchants in Pune have been selling daggers like this for several hundred or even a thousand years.

If you are looking to get a more accurate estimate of the age of your knife, it would be helpful to consult with an expert in the field of archeology or metallurgy. They would be able to examine the knife and provide a more informed estimate based on their knowledge and experience. You can also try reaching out to local historical societies or museums in Pune, as they may have resources or experts who can assist you in your search for information about the age of your knife.

In any case, it is fascinating to think about the history and potential significance of your family's dagger. I wish you the best of luck in your search for answers and hope that you are able to uncover more about its age and origins.

What is rust and how does it form?

Rust is a form of corrosion that occurs on iron and steel when they come into contact with oxygen and water. The process of rusting is known as oxidation, and it happens because the iron in these metals reacts with the oxygen in the air. This reaction produces iron oxide, which is the reddish-brown substance commonly known as rust.

How can you determine the age of something by rust?

Rust can provide clues about the age of an object because the rate of rusting is affected by factors such as humidity, temperature, and the presence of certain chemicals. By analyzing the extent and type of rust on an object, scientists can estimate its age and the conditions it has been exposed to.

What methods are used to determine the age of something by rust?

There are several methods that scientists use to determine the age of something by rust. These include radiocarbon dating, thermoluminescence dating, and dendrochronology. Each method relies on different principles and can be used to determine the age of objects of different materials and time periods.

What are the limitations of using rust to determine the age of something?

While rust can provide valuable information about the age of an object, there are also limitations to this method. For example, the rate of rusting can vary greatly depending on the conditions an object has been exposed to, making it difficult to accurately estimate its age. Additionally, the presence of certain chemicals or protective coatings can also impact the rate of rusting and make it harder to determine an object's age.

What are some real-world applications of using rust to determine the age of something?

The study of rust can have practical applications in fields such as archaeology, forensics, and conservation. By analyzing the rust on artifacts, crime scene evidence, or historical structures, scientists can gain insights into their age, composition, and environmental conditions. This information can help us better understand our past, solve crimes, and preserve important cultural heritage sites.