Square root of a 0 matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and properties of square roots of the 0 matrix. It is shown that the 0 matrix does have a square root, but it is not unique and can have unexpected properties. The possibility of a square root of the 0 matrix being singular is also mentioned.
Bipolarity
At first I thought that there is no square matrix whose square is the 0 matrix. But I found a counterexample to this. My counterexample is:
[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

However it appears that my counterexample has a 0 row. I'm curious, must a square root of the 0 matrix necessarily have at least one 0 row (or 0 column)?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
At first I thought that there is no square matrix whose square is the 0 matrix. But I found a counterexample to this. My counterexample is:
[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

However it appears that my counterexample has a 0 row. I'm curious, must a square root of the 0 matrix necessarily have at least one 0 row (or 0 column)?

BiP

The square of that matrix is the same matrix, not the zero matrix. Did you accidentally multiply when you should've added?

I suspect you intended the following matrix?
$$\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$
Square it and you get the zero matrix.

The same holds for
$$\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ -1 & -1 \end{bmatrix}$$

IF A2= 0 and A is invertible, then we could multiply both sides by A-1 and get A= 0. However, the ring of matrices as "non-invertible" matrices. It is quite possible to have AB= 0 with neither A nor B 0 and, in particular, non-zero A such that A2= 0.

The "square root of a matrix" isn't a very useful idea for general matrices, because it is hardly ever unique. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_root_of_a_matrix for the sort of (probably unexpected) things that can happen.

However the positive definite square root of a positive definite matrix (called its "principal square root") is unique, and sometimes useful.

If A is a symmetric matrix, finding B such that A = BB^T, is even more useful. B has most of the useful properties of the "square root or A", even when it is not a symmetric matrix.

Thank you all for your replies! Sorry for my mistake but I get it now!

HallsofIvy, does your post essentially prove that square roots of the 0 matrix must be singular?

BiP

What is the square root of a 0 matrix?

The square root of a 0 matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by itself, results in a 0 matrix. In other words, it is a matrix that, when squared, becomes the 0 matrix.

Is the square root of a 0 matrix unique?

Yes, the square root of a 0 matrix is unique. This is because any matrix multiplied by itself will result in a 0 matrix, so there can only be one square root of a 0 matrix.

Can a 0 matrix have a square root?

Yes, a 0 matrix can have a square root. As mentioned before, any matrix multiplied by itself will result in a 0 matrix, so the square root of a 0 matrix does exist.

What is the relationship between a 0 matrix and its square root?

The relationship between a 0 matrix and its square root is that the square root of a 0 matrix is also a 0 matrix. This means that the square root of a 0 matrix is a special case of itself.

Can the square root of a 0 matrix be used in calculations?

No, the square root of a 0 matrix cannot be used in calculations as it does not represent a meaningful value. It is simply a mathematical construct that has no real-world application.