Most probable values of the Maxwell Boltzman distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of most probable speed and kinetic energy of a classical, nonrelativistic particle as described by the Maxwell and Boltzmann distributions. While mathematically, the two values are not the same, there is a physical explanation for this difference due to the nature of probability and the relationship between speed and kinetic energy. Ultimately, the most probable speed and kinetic energy can be found by determining the maximum value of the corresponding distribution functions.
Trivial Man
To preface my problem, you should know what I'm deriving. When I try to find the most probable speed of a classical, nonrelativistic particle as described by the Maxwell speed distribution I find that it is vmp=(2*k*T/m)^(1/2). The kinetic energy associated with this particle would then be EK=(m*vmp^2)/2=k*T. Next, when I use the Boltzman distribution to try and find the most probable kinetic energy of a particle I find that EK=(k*t)/2.

Both of these values I've verified as correct with my book and even in another topic in the forum (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=120947). Multiple sources I've found, including my professor, make it a point to emphasize that the most probable kinetic energy is not the same as the kinetic energy of the most probable speed. However, one would intuitively expect these values to be the same since the speed and kinetic energies of a particle are related. Obviously the math dictates that they are, but from a more physical perspective why are these values different?

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability densities mean probability only together with the associated interval . If you ask what is the probability that a molecule has 100 m/s speed, the answer is zero. Even among a lot of molecules in a vessel, the speed of no one will be exactly 100 m/s. You can ask what is the probability that a speed of a molecule is between 10 m/s and 11 m/s, and the answer is : The probability that the speed of a molecule is between v1 and v2 is ∫f(v)dv (integral from v1 and v2). If the interval is very narrow, you can approximate the probability that the speed is between v and v+dv with f(v)dv. If you want the probability that the speed of a molecule is between 100m/s and 100.1 m/s, you can say that it is f(100)*0.1.
The probability density itself is f(v)=dP/dv.

The probability that the speed of a molecule is between v and v+dv is f(v)dv. The probability that the KE of a molecule is between E and E+dE is g(E)dE, where g is the MB distribution function in terms of KE. It can be written in terms of speed: g(E)dE= g(E(v))(dE/dv)dv=f(v)(dE/dv)dv

If you want the most probable speed, it means you need to find v where f(v) is maximum. At the most probable energy, g(E) is maximum, but it is maximum at that speed where f(v)dE/dv = f(v)(mv) is maximum. The intervals dE and dv are not simply proportional.

ehild

1. What is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the speed of particles in a gas or liquid at a certain temperature. It is named after physicists James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann who developed it in the late 19th century.

2. How is the most probable value of the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution calculated?

The most probable value of the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is calculated using the formula vmp = √(2kT/m), where vmp is the most probable speed, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and m is the mass of the particle.

3. What is the significance of the most probable value in the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The most probable value in the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution represents the speed at which the majority of particles in a gas or liquid are moving at a given temperature. It is the peak of the distribution and helps scientists understand the behavior of particles in a system.

4. How does temperature affect the most probable value in the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

As temperature increases, the most probable value in the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, particles have more kinetic energy and therefore move at higher speeds.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is used in various fields such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and plasma physics. It is also used in engineering and technology to understand the behavior of gases and liquids in different systems, such as in combustion engines or in the design of heat exchangers.