How do you find out where a series converges

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, it is possible to find the explicit value of certain infinite series, such as the geometric series \sum_{n=1}^\infty (\frac{3}{5})^n mentioned in the conversation. However, it is not possible to determine where a series converges as it does not have any parameters. The formula for a geometric series can be used to find the sum of certain series, but it may not work for all series. Additionally, the formula for \sum \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} is correct, but the proof of its convergence mentioned in the conversation is incorrect.
stunner5000pt
are there certain formulae to find out where a certain infinite series converges, if it does converge

for example
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty (\frac{3}{5})^n [/tex] certainly converges because it is between the infinite series
[tex] \sum (1+ \frac{1}{n})^n [/tex] and the series [tex] \sum (\frac{1}{5})^n [/tex] which both converge Since both of them converge then sum(3/5)^n must converge.

But my question is WHERE does (3/5)^n converge??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty (3/5)^n [/itex] doesn't have any parameters, so it doesn't really make sense to ask for which values of the parameters (i.e. where) the series converges... only if.

Now, (1 + 1/n)^n and (1/5)^n aren't series...

Last edited:
what i meant was how do you find the explicit value of the series
for example i know (because I've been told) that
[tex] \sum \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} [/tex]
would it be possible to that to do this series??

note: my proof of its convergence is wrong

[itex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} (1 + 1/n)^n[/itex] doesn't converge...

Anyways, yes, your series does have a sum. It's a geometric series, so use the formula for such series.

stunner5000pt said:
what i meant was how do you find the explicit value of the series
for example i know (because I've been told) that
[tex] \sum \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} [/tex]
would it be possible to that to do this series??

note: my proof of its convergence is wrong

Here's the thread that addressed the problem:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=470773#post470773

1. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

To determine if a series converges or diverges, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test. These tests compare the given series to a known series that is either convergent or divergent, and based on the result, you can determine the convergence or divergence of the given series.

2. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the sum of the absolute values of each term converges to a finite value. On the other hand, conditional convergence occurs when a series converges, but the sum of the absolute values of each term diverges. In simpler terms, absolute convergence guarantees convergence, while conditional convergence does not.

3. Can a series converge at one point and diverge at another?

Yes, a series can converge at one point and diverge at another. This is known as a conditionally convergent series. An example of this is the alternating harmonic series, where it converges at ln(2) but diverges at infinity.

4. How do you find the radius and interval of convergence for a power series?

To find the radius of convergence of a power series, you can use the ratio test. The interval of convergence can then be determined by checking the endpoints of the interval with the help of the ratio test or another convergence test such as the alternating series test.

5. Can a series converge to a value other than the sum of its terms?

Yes, a series can converge to a value that is not equal to the sum of its terms. This is known as a conditional convergence. An example of this is the alternating harmonic series, which converges to ln(2) even though its sum of terms diverges.