Estimating spring coeff and damping coeffient of my car

In summary, the individual is working on a project and needs to estimate the spring constant and damping coefficient for a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder SUV. They plan on using Hooke's law to estimate the spring constant by measuring the ride height of the car with and without weights. For damping, they suggest using a drop test or manually bouncing the suspension and counting the half-cycles. They also mention using a video camera to measure displacement over time. They are unsure of whether to use the full weight of the car or 1/4 of the weight for the calculations. They also have questions about the correct method for counting half-cycles.
zacharoni16
I'm working on a project, I just need ballpark estimates for the spring constant and damping coefficient for my 1994 Nissan Pathfinder SUV.

I was thinking of using Hookes law to estimate the spring constant, can I just measure the ride height of the car with nothing in it, then add 200 pounds of weights in the back and measure the displacement from the reference to get the spring constant?

For the damping, I know most cars are near critical damped right? to make oscillations die out fastest.

I'm using the quarter-car model for my project and I just need to estimate these two parameters on a real car

Any advice or suggestions would be awesome. I know damping they used to do a drop test and watch the oscillation for a "shock" test but I don't have the tools or a jack to safely do this

Physics news on Phys.org
zacharoni16 said:
I was thinking of using Hookes law to estimate the spring constant, can I just measure the ride height of the car with nothing in it, then add 200 pounds of weights in the back and measure the displacement from the reference to get the spring constant?

That's a good idea, but I would forget about the 200 pounds weight. Jack up the car, and see how far you have to raise the car body before a tire lifts off the ground. That way, you will be using the weight of the car "for free".
I know damping they used to do a drop test and watch the oscillation for a "shock" test but I don't have the tools or a jack to safely do this
You can get a rough idea by just "bouncing" the suspension by hand, and counting how many half-cycles the body moves before it stops. The oscillations will be fairly slow, so you could video them with a cellphone or digital camera and then measure the images frame by frame to get a graph of the displacement agaisnt time. Then try to make your spring-mass-damper model match what you measured.

So you mark a reference point, jack the car up until the tire barely lifts off the ground, that distance from the reference is the displacement, and I use the car weight as the force as listed in the owners manual? Or would I use 1/4 of the weight since its one tire?

zacharoni16 said:
Or would I use 1/4 of the weight since its one tire?

Correct. The weight might not be split 50/50 between the front and rear wheels, but if you don't know the CG position of the car that's a reasonable assumption.

Thank you!

For the damping, the half-cycles would be the peak to peak every time it comes "up" correct?

If I video tape it I will just need to know the FPS of the camera to get a time scale like they do on myth busters?

Confused :/ any help thank you AlephZero

If I count every time the car goes above the ride height that is a half sine (half of a cycle) ??

1. How do I estimate the spring coefficient of my car?

There are a few methods for estimating the spring coefficient of your car. One method is to use a car suspension analysis software, which can provide accurate calculations based on your car's specifications. Another method is to measure the static deflection of your car's suspension using a ruler or a string and weight, and then calculate the spring coefficient using the formula k=F/x, where F is the weight applied and x is the deflection.

2. Can I estimate the damping coefficient of my car without specialized equipment?

Yes, it is possible to estimate the damping coefficient of your car without specialized equipment. You can use the logarithmic decrement method, which involves measuring the amplitude of the car's suspension oscillations and calculating the damping ratio using the formula ζ=Δln(A1/A2)/(2πn), where A1 and A2 are the amplitudes of two consecutive peaks and n is the number of oscillations.

3. How do I know if my car's spring and damping coefficients need to be adjusted?

If your car is experiencing excessive bouncing or swaying, or if you are having trouble controlling it while driving, it may be a sign that the spring and damping coefficients need to be adjusted. You may also notice uneven tire wear, which can be caused by an incorrect spring and damping setup.

4. Can I use the same spring and damping coefficients for all types of driving?

No, the optimal spring and damping coefficients for your car will depend on the type of driving you do. For example, if you mainly drive on smooth highways, you may want a softer suspension setup for a more comfortable ride. However, if you frequently drive on rough roads or engage in high-performance driving, you may want a stiffer suspension setup for better handling and control.

5. Is it necessary to regularly check and adjust my car's spring and damping coefficients?

While it is not necessary to constantly adjust your car's spring and damping coefficients, it is a good idea to periodically check them to ensure they are still providing optimal performance. Factors such as wear and tear, changes in driving habits, and vehicle modifications can all affect the performance of your suspension, so it is important to keep an eye on it and make adjustments as needed.