How Do Density, Gravity, and Height Equate to Pressure?

In summary, pressure is the force per unit area applied on an object or substance, commonly measured in units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). The most common units for pressure are psi, atm, Pa, and bar, with other units like mmHg and torr used in specific fields. To convert between units, conversion factors or equations can be used, and there are also online calculators available. The SI unit for pressure is Pa, but other units like bar and atm are also commonly used. Pressure measurements have various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and meteorology, and are important in understanding fluid dynamics, gas laws, weather patterns, and for industrial purposes in aviation
cytochrome
How is (density)(gravity)(height) supposed to equal pressure?

density = kg/m^3
gravity = m/s^2
height = m

(kg/m^3)(m/s^2)(m) = (kg/m*s^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure is force/area. What do those units work out to?

jtbell said:
Pressure is force/area. What do those units work out to?

Wow nevermind... I'm having one of those late nights working on fluid dynamics homework and I started confusing myself with my tiredness

What is pressure?

Pressure is the force per unit area applied on an object or substance. It is typically measured in units of force divided by units of area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

What are the common units for pressure?

The most commonly used units for pressure are pounds per square inch (psi), atmospheres (atm), pascals (Pa), and bars (bar). Other units, such as millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and torr, are also commonly used in specific fields.

How do you convert between different units of pressure?

To convert between units of pressure, you can use conversion factors or equations specific to the units. For example, to convert from atmospheres (atm) to pascals (Pa), you can use the equation: 1 atm = 101,325 Pa. There are also online conversion calculators available for easy conversion.

What is the SI unit for pressure?

The SI unit for pressure is pascals (Pa). This unit is defined as 1 newton per square meter (N/m^2). However, other units such as bars (bar) and atmospheres (atm) are also commonly used in scientific and industrial settings.

What are the applications of pressure measurements?

Pressure measurements are used in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and meteorology. They are important in understanding fluid dynamics, gas laws, and weather patterns. Pressure measurements are also crucial in industries such as aviation, manufacturing, and healthcare for monitoring and controlling processes and systems.