Solve Heat Transfer Problem for Cylindrical Rod of Steel

In summary: Fourier's Law is used to model heat flux in this case.I checked and you are right. Fourier's Law is used to model heat flux in this case.
eurekameh
A cylindrical rod of stainless steel is insulated on its exterior
surface except for the ends. The steady-state temperature
distribution is T(x) = a-bx/L, where a = 305 K
and b =10 K. The diameter and length of the rod are
D = 20 mm and L =100 mm, respectively. Determine
the heat flux along the rod, Hint: The mass of the rod
is M = 0.248 kg.

T(x) = 305 - 100x.
dT(x)/dx = -100.
I know that heat flux is modeled by Fourier's Law for conduction: qx'' = -k*dT/dx. What I'm having trouble finding is the conductivity k and I'm wondering whether it has something to do with the mass of the rod, although I am not seeing the connection here.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
eurekameh said:
A cylindrical rod of stainless steel is insulated on its exterior
surface except for the ends. The steady-state temperature
distribution is T(x) = a-bx/L, where a = 305 K
and b =10 K. The diameter and length of the rod are
D = 20 mm and L =100 mm, respectively. Determine
the heat flux along the rod, Hint: The mass of the rod
is M = 0.248 kg.

T(x) = 305 - 100x.
dT(x)/dx = -100.
I know that heat flux is modeled by Fourier's Law for conduction: qx'' = -k*dT/dx. What I'm having trouble finding is the conductivity k and I'm wondering whether it has something to do with the mass of the rod, although I am not seeing the connection here.
Thanks.

You need to have more confidence in yourself. So far, what you have done is correct. You need to look up the thermal conductivity of stainless steel on google. Just multiply it by minus the temperature gradient, and you're done. The diameter is extraneous, as is the mass (unless the thermal conductivity of steel is given as a function of density, which I doubt).

Chestermiller said:
. The diameter is extraneous, as is the mass (unless the thermal conductivity of steel is given as a function of density, which I doubt).

Oh?
dQ/dt = -kA dT/dx
k = thermal conductivity
A = cross-sectional area
dT/dx = temperature gradient = -b/L

Am I missing something?

rude man said:
Oh?
dQ/dt = -kA dT/dx
k = thermal conductivity
A = cross-sectional area
dT/dx = temperature gradient = -b/L

Am I missing something?

Yes. The problem asked for the heat flux (heat flow per unit area), not the total rate of heat flow.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. The problem asked for the heat flux (heat flow per unit area), not the total rate of heat flow.

I would question that.

For example, in magnetics, flux is the B field times the area.

That may very well be the case in magnetics, but I've been doing engineering heat transfer for almost 50 years, and heat flux has always been heat flow per unit area. I've never seen the term used in any other way.

Chestermiller said:
That may very well be the case in magnetics, but I've been doing engineering heat transfer for almost 50 years, and heat flux has always been heat flow per unit area. I've never seen the term used in any other way.

I checked and you are right.

1. What is the formula for calculating heat transfer in a cylindrical steel rod?

The formula for calculating heat transfer in a cylindrical steel rod is Q = (2πkLΔT)/(ln(r2/r1)), where Q is the heat transfer rate, k is the thermal conductivity of steel, L is the length of the rod, ΔT is the temperature difference between the two ends of the rod, r2 is the outer radius, and r1 is the inner radius.

2. How do I determine the thermal conductivity of steel?

The thermal conductivity of steel can be determined by consulting a materials database or by conducting experiments where heat transfer is measured in a steel sample with known dimensions and temperature difference. It can also be estimated using the properties of the specific type of steel and its composition.

3. What factors affect the heat transfer in a cylindrical steel rod?

The factors that affect heat transfer in a cylindrical steel rod include the thermal conductivity of steel, the length and diameter of the rod, the temperature difference between the two ends, and the environment in which the rod is placed (e.g. convection, radiation).

4. How does the shape of the cylindrical steel rod affect heat transfer?

The shape of the cylindrical steel rod does not significantly affect heat transfer as long as the rod is uniform and the temperature difference is maintained between the two ends. However, changes in the shape, such as a decrease in diameter, can increase the surface area and thus increase heat transfer.

5. How can I apply the results from solving a heat transfer problem for a cylindrical steel rod?

The results from solving a heat transfer problem for a cylindrical steel rod can be applied in various engineering and industrial applications, such as designing and optimizing heating and cooling systems, determining the thermal properties of materials, and evaluating the efficiency of thermal insulation.