Uncovering the History of SHM: From Newton to Trig Functions

In summary, the mathematical study of simple harmonic motion was first established by Newton and Hooke. However, it is uncertain whether they were aware of the uniqueness of solutions. The use of trigonometric functions in calculus and the discovery of this differential equation may have been a satisfying confirmation of Newton's Mechanics. It is possible that one of the Bernoullis or Euler discovered this equation, but it is also possible that Newton was aware of it due to his knowledge of Hooke's law. There is speculation that Atwood may have also played a role in the discovery.
Crosson
I am wondering if anyone knows the history of the mathematical study of simple harmonic motion. Who first set up the equation:

[tex]\frac{d^2X(t)}{dt^2} +\frac{k}{m} X(t) = 0 [/tex]

Was it Newton? Hooke? Did they know about uniqueness of solutions?

The trig functions occupy such a cetral role these days in the study of calculus, this differential equation has a magic trick feeling to it. If the discoverer's of this equation viewed it in a similar context as ourselves, it must have been one of the most instantly satisfying confirmations of Newton's Mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question!
You can certainly disregard Hooke, and also, I think, Newton&Leibniz.
If I were to make a bet, I'd say one of the Bernoullis or Euler.

However, since Hooke's law was known to Newton, it might well be that Newton was aware of this. If he ever published anything to that effect, is another matter.

(However, I'm not speaking from knowledge here; just speculating..)

Last edited:
Atwood, I think

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where a system oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point.

2. Who first discovered SHM?

The concept of SHM was first studied by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He developed the mathematical framework for understanding the motion of objects in simple harmonic motion.

3. What is the relationship between SHM and trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, are essential in describing the motion of objects in SHM. This is because the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in SHM can all be described using trigonometric functions.

4. How is SHM used in real-life applications?

SHM has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. Examples include pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and even the motion of atoms in a molecule.

5. What are some key equations used in the study of SHM?

Some key equations used in the study of SHM include Hooke's Law, which describes the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement, and the equation for the period of SHM, which depends on the mass and spring constant of the system.