I have hard time understanding Such That

• Thread starter BarringtonT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Time
In summary, "such that" is a phrase used to limit or qualify the elements in a set, usually through a condition or statement. It does not imply causation or a specific relationship between the elements.
BarringtonT
I have hard time understanding "Such That"

{x[itex]\in[/itex][itex]Z[/itex]|x=2m+1, m[itex]\in[/itex][itex]Z[/itex]}

Is this saying that x is apart of all integers and because of that x=2m+1 where m is all so apart of all integers.

if not

Is the first part x[itex]\in[/itex][itex]Z[/itex] because of the second part x=2m+1, m[itex]\in[/itex][itex]Z[/itex]

or

Is second part x=2m+1, m[itex]\in[/itex][itex]Z[/itex] because of the first x[itex]\in[/itex][itex]Z[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula asking you to take the set of all integers x such that x is identical to 2m + 1, where M itself is an integer. More simply, x is a member of the set if x an odd integer.

I'm not sure I understand your questions. By 'apart' did you mean 'a part'? If so, it might be better to say "x is an intger". More importantly, there's no implication that x should be odd because x is an integer. SUCH THAT is not a causal connective.

Indeed, one could have specified the same set without the opening clause that x is an integer, since this in fact follows from the fact that x is an odd integer.

"Such that" is used before one or more qualifiers that limit what we're discussing.

Here are some examples.

1. {x ##\in## Z} - this set represents all of the integers, negative, zero, and positive.
2. {x ##\in## Z | x > 2} - The bar (|) can be read as "such that." The inequality limits the set so that we're now talking about only the integers larger than 2.

3. {x ##\in## Z | x > 2 and x < 7} - We're further limiting the set, so now we're considering only {3, 4, 5, 6}. This could also be written as {x ##\in## Z | 2 < x < 7}, and means exactly the same thing.
4. {x ##\in## Z | x > 2 and x < 3} - We have limited things so much that there are no members in the set, because there are no integers that are both larger than 2 and smaller than 3.

1. Why is it difficult to understand "Such That" statements?

"Such That" statements can be difficult to understand because they often involve complex ideas and use formal mathematical or scientific language. They may also involve conditional statements, which can be challenging to comprehend.

2. How can I improve my understanding of "Such That" statements?

To improve your understanding of "Such That" statements, it can be helpful to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts and to use real-life examples to illustrate the concepts. It may also be beneficial to seek clarification from a teacher or colleague if you are struggling to understand a specific statement.

3. Are there any common mistakes people make when interpreting "Such That" statements?

Yes, some common mistakes people make when interpreting "Such That" statements include misinterpreting the conditional statement (e.g. confusing "if" and "only if") and not fully understanding the implications of the statement (e.g. assuming a statement is true without considering all possible scenarios).

4. Can "Such That" statements be found outside of mathematics and science?

Absolutely! While "Such That" statements are most commonly used in mathematics and science, they can also be found in other fields such as law, philosophy, and linguistics. Anytime a statement involves a condition or a specific set of criteria, it can be considered a "Such That" statement.

5. How important is it to understand "Such That" statements in the scientific community?

Understanding "Such That" statements is crucial in the scientific community as they are often used to define and describe important concepts and relationships. Misinterpreting or misusing a "Such That" statement can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder the progress of research. Therefore, it is essential for scientists to have a clear understanding of these statements.