Creating a Portable Steam Unit Without Stove Heating

In summary, Danger suggests it might be possible to build a portable steam unit that doesn't require the use of an heating element from a stove. He suggests either using a battery pack or using a vacuum pump to power the unit. He also suggests using a thermistor to prevent the unit from overheating.
pravspresso
Is it possible to create a portable steam unit similar to this but without the use

of the a heating element from a stove.

http://vimeo.com/42042554

If so?, briefly how would one go about this?

I would like to create something identical but with it's own heating unit

and be hand held.

Cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's beyond my ken how anybody could put that crap into an otherwise decent drink like coffee, but I'll overlook that for now.
What about basic chemical heating? You know... Sterno fuel, a candle, napalm...

i don't know how big it would end up but...
water boils cold at high altitudes, so some sort of vaccum/pressure chamber might work

or using a battery pack you could power a form of "prison immersion heater"

That's great information.

Thank you kindly sir.

I'm going to a local engineer to talk further about this.

Cheers!

Alt-Bringer said:
you could power a form of "prison immersion heater"

I don't think that I even want to know what that is. :yuck:

If simply boiling, as opposed to heating, is required, then you have a mighty fine idea with that suggestion of a vacuum pump. One could probably fit in a backpack. My concern about it is the power requirement. I assume that Pravspresso wants the unit to be battery-operated. That could present a problem.

Hi Danger,

Yes, preferably battery operated but plugging into an outlet is an option

if it makes any difference whatsoever.

Cheers,

p.

pravspresso said:
plugging into an outlet is an option

if it makes any difference whatsoever.
It absolutely does. Where I live, that means 1,500W at your disposal. Visions of sugarplums...

Hang on a second here...
I might have misunderstood the first post; I took it to mean that you didn't want to use electric heating (the element from a stove). Did you in fact just mean that you didn't want to use the whole stove? If that's the case, a few car cigarette lighters and a 12V battery could have you on your way.

Yes,

You got it right "no stove".

The outlet would be more desirable for my purposes of steaming 8-12oz of milk while in the kitchen

or some other area at work.

Cheers,

p.

That shouldn't present any problems, then. You could scavenge the guts out of a toaster oven (or even just a plain toaster) or a space heater or something else with a healthy dose of nichrome wire in its DNA.
Safety first, though. I'd like to see a thermistor in the design, set for about 105° (I don't know what the boiling point of milk is at any given altitude, but you want to stop just above it.) Also both electrical and thermal insulation and a fuse.
You can build it yourself, but get a qualified electrical expert to check it before you plug it in. (My eyebrows have never forgiven me for an incident with rebuilding a razor when I was about 12.)

1. What is a portable steam unit without stove heating?

A portable steam unit without stove heating is a device that produces steam without the use of a stove or other external heat source. It is designed to be compact and easy to transport, making it suitable for use in various settings such as camping trips or small apartments.

2. How does a portable steam unit without stove heating work?

This type of steam unit typically uses an electric heating element to heat water and produce steam. Some models may also use battery-powered heating elements or solar panels for heating. The steam is then released through a nozzle or hose for various purposes such as cooking, cleaning, or relaxation.

3. What are the benefits of using a portable steam unit without stove heating?

One of the main benefits of this type of steam unit is its portability. It does not require a stove or other external heat source, making it easy to use in different locations. It also eliminates the need for gas or propane, making it a more eco-friendly option. Additionally, it can be used for a variety of purposes, including cooking, cleaning, and personal care.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using a portable steam unit without stove heating?

As with any electrical device, there are potential safety concerns with using a portable steam unit without stove heating. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when using the device. Some models may also come with safety features such as automatic shut-off to prevent overheating.

5. How do I maintain and clean a portable steam unit without stove heating?

The maintenance and cleaning requirements may vary depending on the specific model of the portable steam unit. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper maintenance and cleaning. Generally, it is recommended to regularly clean the steam nozzle or hose and to descale the unit periodically to prevent mineral buildup.