Probability of Bacteria Dying Out: What Do You Think?

• Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary: This conversation is about the probability of all bacteria eventually dying out due to a quarter chance of dying, staying still, splitting into 2, or splitting into 3 each minute. Different approaches were suggested, including using geometric series and Markov's inequality, but ultimately it was shown that there is a nonzero probability that the population will continuously increase and will not die out completely.
BWV
came up with a different answer than someone posted on this, what do you all think?

Say you have one bacterium now. In any minute, each living one has a quarter chance of dying, a quarter of staying still, a quarter of splitting into 2, and a quarter of splitting into 3. What is the probability of all the bacteria eventually dying out?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have two different answers, why don't you write them down?

my initial thought was the geometric series over n for p=.25

Ʃpn-1 =0.333

but it is more complex than that

at T1 there is a p chance of extinction

but at T2 there is a p2+p3+p4 chance of extinction, as if the germ does not go extinct at T1 there is an equal probability of 1,2 or 3 germs

and at T3 there is a p3+p4+p5+p6+p7+p8+p9 chance of extinction

after that for Tj get a sum pnof over a range n=j to j+3(j-1)

but there should be some pattern of coefficients to reflect the multiple paths to the middle range of probabilities at each T, which is where I am hung up

another guess is:
[itex]\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ p^n[/itex] + [itex]\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=2}^∞ p^n[/itex]+ [itex]\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=3}^∞ p^n[/itex]...≈0.45

but this overcounts p2 as there is only one path to it

Last edited:
BWV said:
and at T3 there is a p3+p4+p5+p6+p7+p8+p9 chance of extinction
How did you get that?
The probability distribution of T2 is not so trivial, I don't see why this expression should be true.

P(n->m) is the number of all options to write m as sum of n distinct integers from 0 to 3; divided by 4^n.
P(n->0) is always 1/4^n, but the extinction chance depends on the distribution of n.

Written as matrix Pmn, we look for the limit of the first component in ##\displaystyle \lim_{k\to\infty}\,(0,1,0,...) \cdot P_{mn}^{k}##

Sorry was omitting unknown coefficients at t3 as you start to get multiple paths, but t2 is correct as there are either 1 2 or 3 bacteria and they all have to go extinct

Thanks for the response, will play with it when I get some time

Seems to me it has to be p=1 for all dieing out.
Each of the four possibilities per minute is subject to fluctuation.
Considering the maximum fluctuation cases for any minute:

- every cell splits into three
- every cell splits into two
- every cell survives without splitting
- every cell dies

The probability of these fluctuations within one particular arbitrary minute are equal, but their impacts to growth are not.
Advances in population by the first two, or maintenance of stasis by the third, may be somewhat recovered by subsequent lessor fluctuations of the fourth (where not all cells die), and the first three may enjoy arbitrary repetitions...
The occurrence of the maximum fourth is a total stop unrecoverable by the first three, and it only needs to happen once.
Given an indefinitely long period of time, it will.

Those extreme fluctuations are extremely rare - and their probability is decreasing with increasing population size. If you start with a population of size n, their probability to die out goes to 0 for n->infinity.
The occurrence of the maximum fourth is a total stop unrecoverable by the first three, and it only needs to happen once.
Given an indefinitely long period of time, it will.
The probability of this goes down quicker than exponentially, giving a finite sum.I simulated the problem in python. I stopped if the population reached 0 (="dead"), 1 (=back to the original state), >50 (="living"), or had 30 iterations (="unclear"). In 1 million samples, 397509 were living, 280790 were dead, 0 were unclear. The others returned to 1 and were not counted. This gives a fraction of 41.4% dead populations with an uncertainty of about 0.1%.

A population with 50 is basically immortal. It gets 75+-8 descendants, the probability that it shrinks is tiny. If I consider only populations of >=500 as "living", the program runs longer, but the result stays the same.

A quick check (with 10-100 thousand populations each) for other starting values:
0: 100% dead (of course)
2: 18% dead
3: 7% dead
4: 2.8% dead
5: 1.2% dead

this was supposedly a job interview question for a quant job at Morgan Stanley

maybe "I would just monte carlo it" was the answer they were looking for?

Let p be the probability of dying. Then after one generation either you die, you stay at 1 guy, you get 2 guys (who both have to die off independently) or you get three guys (who have to die off independently). So
p = .25+.25p+.25p2+.25 p3

Office_Shredder said:
(who both have to die off independently)
Very nice, I did not see that.
This gives about 41.42%, in agreement with my simulations.

I just realized that that polynomial has p=1 as a root, so you have to prove separately that the line will not die off with probability 1. The proof isn't that bad... if Pn is the population on the nth iteration, there is a nonzero probability that for really large n, Pn is at least 1.5n (because that's the expected value of Pn). Now suppose that we have one of these really large populations.

Pn+1/Pn is the average value of the size of each of the individual cell's iterations. It has expected value 1.5 and variance 1.25/Pn. Therefore Markov's inequality for the variance tells us
[tex]Prob(P_{n+1}/P_n < 1.3) \leq \frac{c}{P_n} [/tex]
for some constant c. Now we can show that there is a non-zero probability that each Pn+k is 1.3 times larger than the one that comes before it. Suppose n+k is the first iteration where this fails:
[tex] Prob(P_{n+k}/P_{n+k-1} <1.3 \ |\ P_{n+j}/P_{n+j-1} > 1.3\ \forall\ j<k ) \leq \frac{c}{P_{n+k-1}} \leq \frac{c}{(1.3)^{k-1}P_{n}} [/tex]

Which means that adding up the probability for each k being the first one
[tex] \sum_{k \geq 0} \frac{c}{(1.3)^{k-1}P_{n}} = \frac{1.3c}{P_n} \frac{1}{1-1/(1.3)} [/tex]
which is smaller than 1 if Pn is large enough. So there is a nonzero probability that this population increases by a factor of 1.3 for EVERY subsequent iteration

cool, I could not see on the site where I found the problem where the √2-1 answer posted came from

1. What factors contribute to the probability of bacteria dying out?

There are several factors that can affect the probability of bacteria dying out, including the availability of nutrients, exposure to antibiotics or other harmful substances, competition with other bacteria or microorganisms, and environmental conditions such as temperature and pH.

2. Is it possible for bacteria to become immune to antibiotics and decrease the probability of dying out?

Yes, bacteria can develop resistance to antibiotics through a process called natural selection. This can decrease the probability of dying out, as the resistant bacteria are able to survive and reproduce even in the presence of antibiotics.

3. Can bacteria evolve in a way that increases their probability of dying out?

Yes, bacteria can also evolve in ways that make them more susceptible to dying out. For example, if a certain genetic mutation causes the bacteria to be unable to produce a vital enzyme or protein, it may decrease their ability to survive and reproduce.

4. How does the population size of bacteria affect their probability of dying out?

In general, larger populations of bacteria have a higher probability of survival compared to smaller populations. This is because larger populations have a greater genetic diversity, making them more likely to have individuals with traits that can help them survive in changing environments.

5. Are there any techniques or methods that can be used to increase the probability of bacteria dying out?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to decrease the probability of bacteria surviving and reproducing, such as using antibiotics, disinfectants, or techniques like pasteurization. However, it is important to note that these methods may also have unintended consequences and should be used carefully and responsibly.