Typical value free air convection heat transfer coefficient

In summary, when considering the free air convection heat transfer coefficient at a high temperature of 1000 degrees Celsius, there are various factors to consider such as the shape and size of the object being heated, the room temperature, and the presence of radiation. The estimated range for the heat transfer coefficient is between 5 and 50 W/m^2.K, with some sources suggesting a higher range of 10-100 W/m^2.K. It is recommended to choose a conservative value, such as 20 W/m^2.K, to account for the uncertainty and variability in the data. Ultimately, the purpose and desired level of accuracy for this calculation should be taken into consideration.
Askara
whats would be typical value for free air convection heat transfer coefficient at high temperature of 1000 degree c?

let say i have a vertical cylinder of diameter 5 cm and 3 cm high. and i heat it to 1000 degree c. the room temperature is 20c . what would the convection heat transfer coefficient be?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Note that at that temperature, radiation is probably a much bigger factor than convection, so you're going to want to calculate that.

the thing is engineering box say 5 and 25 W/m^2.K, i have seen some website say 5 and 50 W/m^2.K, and wikipedia 10-100 W/m^2.K so i don't really know what to chooese.

plus onvection heat transfer coefficient increase with temperature, it may be 25 W/m^2.K at 20-200 degree c but it will be higher at 1000 degree c.

It's a very difficult thing to estimate. I'd pick something conservative inside all three ranges. Like, 20.

What exactly the purpose of this question? Ie, how much accuracy is required? Can you measure instead of calculating? Use a controller?

russ_watters thanks, i alway just assumed radiation doesn't matter much but actually as you said, is it much bigger factor than convection. that's why the data i got doesn't match the result from convection

1. What is the typical value for free air convection heat transfer coefficient?

The typical value for free air convection heat transfer coefficient is around 10-100 W/m^2*K. This can vary depending on factors such as air flow velocity, temperature difference, and surface geometry.

2. How is the free air convection heat transfer coefficient calculated?

The free air convection heat transfer coefficient is calculated using the Newton's Law of Cooling equation: h = q/(A∆T), where h is the heat transfer coefficient, q is the heat transfer rate, A is the surface area, and ∆T is the temperature difference between the surface and the surrounding air.

3. What factors affect the value of free air convection heat transfer coefficient?

The value of free air convection heat transfer coefficient is affected by factors such as air flow velocity, temperature difference, surface geometry, surface material, and surface roughness.

4. How does free air convection heat transfer coefficient differ from forced air convection heat transfer coefficient?

Free air convection heat transfer coefficient is the natural flow of air caused by temperature differences, while forced air convection heat transfer coefficient is the flow of air caused by external means such as fans or blowers. Forced air convection typically has a higher heat transfer coefficient due to the increased air flow.

5. What are some examples of applications that involve free air convection heat transfer?

Examples of applications that involve free air convection heat transfer include cooling of electronic components, natural ventilation in buildings, and heat dissipation in cooking processes. It is also important in natural phenomena such as wind and ocean currents.