Can any one clear me the concept of hidden markov model?

In summary, a markov chain is a process that can be used for prediction and music. The emission matrix is a parameter that is used for a hidden markov model.
dexterdev
Hi friends,
I have an idea what a markov chain is. But when it comes to HMM (hidden markov model) I have a doubt regarding emission matrix. What is emission matrix? I have an idea of transition matrix , current states etc. when coming to simulation (using Matlab) I don't have a choice of ordinary markov chains, only HMM is available. why is it so?

I would like to learn markov chains because of its applications in prediction and music etc.

-Devanand T

Physics news on Phys.org
The emission matrix is one of the parameter for a hidden markov. Basically, you have the transition matrix with N possible states that at time t, the hidden variable can take. The transition from t to t + 1 the variable can take on N possible choices for each state, thus there exist N^2 'transition possibilities'. The key rule for the transition matrix is that for each transition, the transitions probability must sum to 1 and this must hold for every transition. What we end up with is a N X N stochastic matrix with a total of N(N-1) transition parameter.

The emission matrix is collection of emission probabilities. Each state is given an emission probability, where each state has a possible emission probability. This is a bit more tricky to handle. The set is determined by the size of the observable data, you typically have to relate them to a distribution. The common ways would be the categorical distribution and Gaussian distribution.

All this becomes more clear with an example. The most common one would be weather forecast. If no one else comes to clear up my muddy explanation, I'll post a concrete example.

As for why matlab, I imagine the reason why they format it as a HMM is because in one way you can view a typical markov chain is an hidden markov model without the uncertainty of the output.

Likes dexterdev
Thank you for the reply , I will wait for the example... :)

1. What is a hidden Markov model (HMM)?

A hidden Markov model is a statistical model used to analyze sequential data, where the underlying states of the system are not observed directly. It is a type of Markov chain model that uses a set of observed data to predict the hidden states that generated the data.

2. How does a hidden Markov model work?

A hidden Markov model works by using a set of observed data to estimate the probability of transitioning between different states. This information is then used to predict the most likely sequence of hidden states that generated the observed data.

3. What are the applications of hidden Markov models?

Hidden Markov models have a wide range of applications in various industries, including speech recognition, natural language processing, bioinformatics, and finance. They are also used in time series analysis and prediction tasks, such as weather forecasting and stock market analysis.

4. What are the advantages of using hidden Markov models?

One of the main advantages of hidden Markov models is their ability to handle sequential data and make predictions based on the underlying states of the system. They are also relatively easy to implement and can handle missing data, making them useful in real-world applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using hidden Markov models?

One limitation of hidden Markov models is that they assume the underlying states of the system are independent of each other. This may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, HMMs can be computationally expensive, especially when dealing with large datasets.