If the air is 212 degrees F will water boil?

In summary: If the temperature difference between the water and the atmosphere is great enough, then liquid water will boil.
willstaruss22
I've been trying to figure this our for a while now. My science teacher asked this question and he wants an answer by tomorrow but I have no idea. Can anyone help with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What must the temperature of the water be for boiling to occur? If you put a pot of water on a gas stove, the temperature of the flame is much hotter than 212 F. Does the water boil immediately?

In some places it will sometimes boil, in some it will never boil. Question leaves an important factor out, making the answer ambiguous.

Also, keep in mind that boiling points for liquids change with altitude (though, I assume the question is for sea level).

Joseph King said:
boiling points for liquids change with altitude

With pressure to be precise. Which is exactly what I was referring to.

Yes I'm talking at sea level. Like if the air temperature was 212 degrees F would the oceans boil away?

In order to boil, the water must have a temperature of 212 degrees farenheit. If the water sits in 212 degree air long enough, it will eventually reach that temperature.

The water will eventually reach a thermal equilibrium (where all elements in the system are at the same temperature). However, if my memory serves me, there are important elements of the question missing. Tt isn't specified whether or not the heating is constant. For example, if you heat only the air inside of an insulated container to 212 F, and fill it with cold water, the heat will impart kinetic energy into the water, thus heating it up, until the temperatures are equal. This is not at 212 F, because as the air tries to reach thermal equilibrium with the water, it loses temperature itself. Therefore, it would not, in a closed system with insufficient energy.

HOWEVER, if this is a system where the air is constantly heated, then YES, it will eventually reach thermal equilibrium. As an example, if the sun was hot enough to where the air at sea level was 212 F, the sun is constantly heating the air, so it doesn't matter how much kinetic energy it puts into the water. The water would eventually reach 212 F, from the air, and the oceans would boil away over time. (Note: This is a flawed example, because the ocean has salt in it, which alters the boiling point. Just assume that this is pure water, with no additives.)

So, essentially, if the air is losing kinetic energy as it heats the water, this will not heat it to boiling.

I think the answer relies on your definition of boiling. It isn't just asking will the water evaporate; it will do that below 212. I think it's asking will bubbles of vapour form within the liquid, i.e., beneath the surface.

1. What is the significance of the air being 212 degrees Fahrenheit?

The temperature of the air does not have a direct impact on the boiling point of water. The boiling point of water is determined by the atmospheric pressure, which can vary depending on location and altitude.

2. Can water boil at a temperature lower than 212 degrees Fahrenheit?

Yes, it is possible for water to boil at a lower temperature if the atmospheric pressure is lower. For example, at high altitudes, the atmospheric pressure is lower and therefore water can boil at a lower temperature.

3. Can water boil at a temperature higher than 212 degrees Fahrenheit?

Yes, water can boil at a higher temperature if the atmospheric pressure is higher. For example, in a pressure cooker, the pressure is higher than the atmospheric pressure and water can boil at a higher temperature.

4. How does the boiling point of water change with altitude?

As altitude increases, the atmospheric pressure decreases, causing the boiling point of water to decrease. This means that water will boil at a lower temperature at higher altitudes.

5. Is 212 degrees Fahrenheit the only temperature at which water boils?

No, the boiling point of water can vary depending on the atmospheric pressure. At sea level, water will boil at 212 degrees Fahrenheit, but in other locations with different atmospheric pressures, the boiling point can be different.