Finding mean of Y if Y=(X1+X2+X3)/3 given mean and variance of x's

In summary, the three random variables, X1, X2, and X3, all have a mean of μ and a variance of 1. The sample mean Y = (X1 + X2 + X3)/3 has a mean of μ and a variance of 1/3, assuming that the three random variables are independent.
ellyezr
Let X1, X2, X3 be three random variables. Suppose all three have mean μ and variance 1. The sample mean is Y = (X1 +X2 +X3)/3.
(a) Can you compute the mean of Y? If so, what is it? If not, why not?

I have that it is either μ OR that it is not possible to find, since we don't know if they are independent or not (as it says later in the question). I have a strong feeling that it is the latter, but I am not sure.

(b) If we assume that the three random variables are independent, what would the variance of Y be?
1/3 right? Just to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have notes on how to combine distributions.
How did you calculate the values you have suggested?

y=(x1+x2+x3)/3
x1 = x2 = x3 = mu
y=(mu+mu+mu)/3
y=3mu/3=mu

or can you not do that because you don't know if they are independent or not?

and no, I don't notes on that - trust me, I looked before I posted.

OK - well the first part seems to be saying you know nothing about the distributions on the ground that they are random. However, since the means are the same, does it make a difference?

The second part says they are independent - but nothing else - does that matter?

Or is the context of the problem important for figuring out what it all means?

Since you have no notes on this, you should try looking some up.
It would help me help you if I knew what level this should be answered at and if this forms part of a formal course.

ellyezr said:
Let X1, X2, X3 be three random variables. Suppose all three have mean μ and variance 1. The sample mean is Y = (X1 +X2 +X3)/3.
(a) Can you compute the mean of Y? If so, what is it? If not, why not?

I have that it is either μ OR that it is not possible to find, since we don't know if they are independent or not (as it says later in the question). I have a strong feeling that it is the latter, but I am not sure.

(b) If we assume that the three random variables are independent, what would the variance of Y be?
1/3 right? Just to be sure.

a) Averaging is linear - dpendence is irrelevant. E(Y) = μ
b) Yes.

thank you mathman

What is the formula for finding the mean of Y?

The formula for finding the mean of Y is Y = (X1 + X2 + X3)/3.

What is the relationship between the mean of Y and the mean of X?

The mean of Y is equal to the mean of X, as both are calculated by taking the sum of the values and dividing by the number of values.

How do we calculate the mean of Y if we are given the mean and variance of X?

We can calculate the mean of Y by first finding the mean of X using the given mean and variance, and then using the formula Y = (X1 + X2 + X3)/3.

What does the mean of Y represent?

The mean of Y represents the average value of the three variables X1, X2, and X3.

Can the mean of Y be greater or smaller than the mean of X?

Yes, the mean of Y can be greater or smaller than the mean of X, as it is calculated using a different formula and can vary depending on the values of X1, X2, and X3.