Fourier Series & Parceval's identity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of an integral using Parseval's identity. The integral involves a sum of a trigonometric polynomial, which is squared and then integrated. The result should be the sum of the absolute value of the coefficients times 2π. However, Mathematica gives a different answer, leading to a discussion about the possibility of a bug and alternative methods of solving the integral. Eventually, it is determined that the correct answer is 17π/8, with a factor of 2 multiplying the sum due to the conversion of the infinite sum.
danielakkerma

Homework Statement

Calculate the following integral:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{2\pi}(\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(kx)}{3^k})^2 dx
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Parseval's identity: [tex] \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} {|f(x)|^2 dx} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} {|a_n|^2+|b_n|^2} [/tex]
Where a_n, and b_n are the trigonometric Fourier coefficients; factors for cos(nx) and sin(nx) respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the question posited the integrand as a sum of a trigonometric polynomial, I let f(x) = Ʃ(cos(kx)/(3^k)).
Then, squaring it, according to Parseval's identity, and taking the integral as shown, should yield the sum of the absolute value of the coefficients(times two Pi -- a constant in the definition of the orthonormal inner product, in the Hilbert space).
In this case:
[tex] \int |f(x)|^2 dx = 2 \pi \sum |a_n|^2 = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{9})^k = 2 \pi \frac{9}{8} = \frac{18 \pi}{8} [/tex]
However, Mathematica claims it's 17π/8!
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...)]/(3^k),+{k,+0,+Infinity}]^2),+{x,+0,+2+Pi}]
I'm quite at a loss as to where I have erred,
And am, as ever, reliant on your help,
Thanks for your time and attention,
Daniel

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not impossible that you might have found a bug.

Someone just a couple of days ago found what looks like a bug in infinite sums.

http://forums.wolfram.com/student-support/topics/519673

You would think that something as simple as this would have been exhaustively tested, but there are lots of tricky cases.

Find three completely different ways of coming up with the answer and see if they consistently disagree with Mathematica. If so then maybe someone can get it fixed in a year or two.

Thanks for a prompt reply...

But Mathematica is pretty insistent.
I've tried rewriting the factor a_n in terms of a complex number, then multiplying it by the series element expressed as a complex exponent(i.e. converted the trigonometric series to a complex-exponential one). But still, no change. Mathematica is adamant that the answer is 17 Pi/8, come hell or high water.
Any further suggestions would be very welcome!
Thanks again,
Daniel
P.S.
I've just noticed the error I made with regards to the title of this thread:
It should of course read "Parseval's identity". My apologies to Marc-Antoine.

danielakkerma said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the following integral:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{2\pi}(\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(kx)}{3^k})^2 dx
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Parseval's identity: [tex] \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} {|f(x)|^2 dx} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} {|a_n|^2+|b_n|^2} [/tex]
Where a_n, and b_n are the trigonometric Fourier coefficients; factors for cos(nx) and sin(nx) respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the question posited the integrand as a sum of a trigonometric polynomial, I let f(x) = Ʃ(cos(kx)/(3^k)).
Then, squaring it, according to Parseval's identity, and taking the integral as shown, should yield the sum of the absolute value of the coefficients(times two Pi -- a constant in the definition of the orthonormal inner product, in the Hilbert space).
In this case:
[tex] \int |f(x)|^2 dx = 2 \pi \sum |a_n|^2 = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{9})^k = 2 \pi \frac{9}{8} = \frac{18 \pi}{8} [/tex]
However, Mathematica claims it's 17π/8!
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...)]/(3^k),+{k,+0,+Infinity}]^2),+{x,+0,+2+Pi}]
I'm quite at a loss as to where I have erred,
And am, as ever, reliant on your help,
Thanks for your time and attention,
Daniel

Maple also gave ##17 \pi/8##. I got this by first finding the sum in the integrand as
[tex]f(x) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(kx)}{3^k} = \frac{3}{2}\frac{\cos(x)-3}{3\cos(x)-5},[/tex]
then integrating ##f^2##.

You are mis-using Parseval: if [tex]f(x) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} c_k e^{ikx},[/tex]
we have
[tex] \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} |f(x)|^2 \, dx = 2\pi \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} |c_k|^2.[/tex]
In the example we have [tex]c_0 = 1, \text{ and } c_k =\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{3^{|k|}}, k \neq 0,[/tex]
so
[tex] 2 \pi \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} |c_k|^2 = 2 \pi \left( 1 + 2 \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{9^k} \right)
= \frac{17 \pi}{8}.[/tex]

Thanks Ray! A few questions:

Ray, thank you for a very cogent reply.
I'm somewhat unsure about your last substitution there:
Why is it necessary to separate c_0 from the more general c_k? (after all, n(the sum's interator) crosses zero -- does it not?)
In this particular equation:
[tex] 2 \pi \left( 1 + 2 \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{9^k} \right) [/tex]
, why is there an additional factor of two, multiplying the sum?
Thanks again,
Daniel

danielakkerma said:
Ray, thank you for a very cogent reply.
I'm somewhat unsure about your last substitution there:
Why is it necessary to separate c_0 from the more general c_k? (after all, n(the sum's interator) crosses zero -- does it not?)
In this particular equation:, why is there an additional factor of two, multiplying the sum?
Thanks again,
Daniel

In the complex (e^{ikx}) form, c_0 is treated the same as the others, but in the real form it is different; that's why books and papers all write
[tex] f(x)= \frac{1}{2} a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} [ a_n \cos(nx) + b_n \sin(nx) ] [/tex]
Anyway,
[tex] \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \left| \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n \cos(nx) \right|^2 \, dx =
\pi (2 |c_0|^2 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |c_n|^2 ).[/tex]
If you don't believe this, try a simple form such as ##f(x) = c_0 + c_1 \cos(x)## and integrate f^2 to see what you get.

The factor of 2 multiplying the sum comes from converting ##\sum_{k=-\infty}^{-1} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}## to ##2\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}##.

Finally have it, thanks!

Ray,
You're superb! Your last line has finally made me see the "light" on this issue.
Thanks again for all your help,
Daniel

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a combination of sine and cosine functions. It allows us to break down a complex waveform into simpler components and understand its frequency content.

2. How is a Fourier Series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions that best fit the given function. This is done using a process called Fourier analysis, which involves integration and manipulation of complex numbers.

3. What is Parceval's identity?

Parceval's identity is a mathematical theorem that states the total energy of a signal can be found by summing the squares of its Fourier coefficients. In other words, it relates the time domain and frequency domain representations of a signal.

4. What is the significance of Parceval's identity in signal processing?

Parceval's identity is significant in signal processing because it allows us to analyze signals in both the time and frequency domains. It also helps us understand the energy distribution of a signal and determine the most important frequency components.

5. How are Fourier Series and Parceval's identity used in real-world applications?

Fourier Series and Parceval's identity are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as image and signal processing, audio and video compression, and data analysis. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to understand and model complex periodic phenomena.