Random Life Event: A Dinner with My Wife's Secretary and an Unexpected Reunion

In summary: Basically, the word "random" is used to describe anything that doesn't make sense, or is unexpected, or is out of the ordinary, or doesn't follow a pattern. In summary, the conversation revolved around a man who had an awkward dinner with his wife and her secretary who turned out to be someone he used to date. This caused tension in his marriage and could potentially cause problems in the future. The conversation also included other random life events shared by the participants.
MarneMath
Education Advisor
I think I just had the weirdest dinner ever. My wife invited her secretary and the secretary's girlfriend to dinner, and of course made me go with her. The only thing I knew before showing up to dinner is that her name was Kelsey. Well, we showed up early and sat at the table. My wife left her phone in her car, and went to go get it. After a couple of minutes of sitting by myself, I see someone who looked oddly familiar. So I stand up, and go up to the girl and say, "excuse me but are you bell?" Her eyes widen and immediately she recognizes who I am, so we start chatting. After about 2 more minutes, my wife walks in says, "Kelsey! So glad you found the place!" Then it hits me, Kelsey is bell, and works for my wife. Now what's so odd about this is that Kelsey was the girl I was dating when I started to date my wife! (Yes, I'm a terrible person.)

Needless to say, that was a very awkward 2 hours of my life. Anyone else have a similar random life event?

Physics news on Phys.org
She changed her name and became a lesbian?

She's always been Bi-sexual, and bell is shorten version of her middle name. When we dated (years ago), she only went by her middle name, because she was a stripper and Bella was her stage name.

I found a quarter on the floor the other day and then a few seconds later found another. Talk about random.

Reminds me of the time I was donating clothes to good will and found 20 bucks in one of my pant's pockets that I haven't wore in a couple of years. Best day of my life.

I'm trying to imagine what homeless person has arms that can realistically fit the sleeves on your shirts lmfao

Obviously the homeless guy who does crack and uses dumpsters as his weights. Obviously...

I bet he gets all the homeless chicks.

MarneMath said:
I think I just had the weirdest dinner ever. My wife invited her secretary and the secretary's girlfriend to dinner, and of course made me go with her. The only thing I knew before showing up to dinner is that her name was Kelsey. Well, we showed up early and sat at the table. My wife left her phone in her car, and went to go get it. After a couple of minutes of sitting by myself, I see someone who looked oddly familiar. So I stand up, and go up to the girl and say, "excuse me but are you bell?" Her eyes widen and immediately she recognizes who I am, so we start chatting. After about 2 more minutes, my wife walks in says, "Kelsey! So glad you found the place!" Then it hits me, Kelsey is bell, and works for my wife. Now what's so odd about this is that Kelsey was the girl I was dating when I started to date my wife! (Yes, I'm a terrible person.)

Needless to say, that was a very awkward 2 hours of my life. Anyone else have a similar random life event?

:rofl: Aaaaaawkward!

How will this affect the working relationship between Kelsey and your wife?

Hopefully, it won't be an issue. My wife and I have been married for nearly a decade. To be perfectly honest, their personalities are quite similar. However, my wife can be extremely jealous and has a quick temper. I see suffering in my future.

Seeing a bachelorette party on Facebook, which apparently I was not invited for, for a wedding that I've invested time in and will have to attend from 8 am to 1 am. Yeah, awkward!

Hopefully your suffering will be limited to the awkward dinner party :smile:

Best to tell her now. Otherwise, there will be even more suffering in your future.

I was talking to a coworker and, just for the fun of it, told him I could guess his birthday. I said July, which was right, and for some reason chose the 4th, which was right. That was a total random guess, but he assumed I must have gotten his birthday from someone else, but I assured him that I didn't. Not sure if he believed me.
Later in the day, I told the story to another one of my coworkers and he said "really?" and walked off to go talk to the guy whose birthday I guessed. I assumed it was to confirm that it actually happened. He comes back and tells me his birthday is also July 4th.

Did Kelsey/Bell bring it up at dinner?

MarneMath said:
Hopefully, it won't be an issue. My wife and I have been married for nearly a decade. To be perfectly honest, their personalities are quite similar. However, my wife can be extremely jealous and has a quick temper. I see suffering in my future.

Don't tell me you didn't bring this up right then and there! Hahah! I would have been, like, "OMFG! OMFG! THIS is your secretary?!? THIS is your secretary? I know her, dear!"

Don't get me wrong it was mentioned fairly quickly when it became apparent that we knew each other. On the car ride home, I gave her more details. She seemed ok with it at the time, but I know my wife well enough that what's ok at one time can surely not be ok within the next minute. Interestingly enough, my wife, Kelsey, and my daughter are on their way to London for two weeks. Joy.

That makes more sense.

Earlier I was mulling over your use of the word "random" to describe this. It actually seemed extremely non-random. However, I realize you were using the word in it's current colloquial sense. I realized I might not be up on the precise colloquial sense, so I consulted the Urban Dictionary:

Random

The latest buzzword used amongst mindless teenagers as a way of showing just so utterly irreverent their predictable sense of humour is. Particularly dominant among English teens and University students, the word "random" or the act of being "random" is a desperate plea for others to recognise how totally against the grain of the norm you are and that you're really crazy and out there. Trouble is, being "random" is predictable, boring, moronic and extremely sad indeed.

Often used by an MTVeenager.
Uni Student: "Cheese! HA HA!"
Another Uni Student: "Wow that's soooo RANDOM! Let's go and buy some trendy clothes which have meaningless and pretentious words/numbers all over to make us look random."

Regardless, I think it's good when strippers reform and become secretaries.

1. What was the purpose of the dinner?

The purpose of the dinner was to introduce my wife's secretary to our family and to catch up with an old friend who unexpectedly joined us.

2. How did the dinner go?

The dinner went well overall. There were some awkward moments at first, but we were able to have a pleasant conversation and everyone seemed to get along.

3. What was the unexpected reunion?

The unexpected reunion was with an old college friend who happened to be in the same restaurant and joined us for dinner. It was a wonderful surprise to see them after so many years.

4. Was my wife's secretary uncomfortable during the dinner?

At first, my wife's secretary seemed a bit uncomfortable, but as the evening went on, they seemed to relax and enjoy themselves.

5. Did the dinner change the dynamic between my wife and her secretary?

No, the dinner did not change the dynamic between my wife and her secretary. They remained professional and friendly towards each other, and the dinner actually helped to strengthen their working relationship.