Elemental iodine from Potassium Iodide - Reaction Equations

• Thread starter Astrum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the reaction of iodine with hydrogen peroxide produces iodide and hydrogen peroxide. The reaction is favored in an alkaline solution, but may also occur in an acidic medium.
Astrum
In the reaction to get I2 from an aqueous solution of KI.

The process. Take the aqeuous KI, and pour concentrated hydrochloric acid, followed by hydrogen peroxide.

K++I-+H++Cl-+H2O[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] KCl + HI + H2O

The reaction with H2O2 is perplexing.

I'm a physics student trying to do chemistry, I'm sure I made some mistake in writing out that chemical equation (I forgot if ions have to be separated in the equation, when in a solute).

What are the specifics of this chain of reactions? The elemental iodine will precipitate out of solution. The H2O2 must be oxidizing something in the K+ + Cl- + H+ + I- + H2O

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The Iodine gets oxidized:
[itex]\rm 2 I^-\rightarrow I_2+2e^- [/itex]
Hydrogen peroxide gets reduced:
[itex]\rm H_2O_2 +2e^-+2H^+\rightarrow 2 H_2O [/itex]
The protons on the LHS stem from the hydrochloric acid, that's why you add acid.

Likes 1 person
I see, hydrogen peroxide is a oxidizing agent, I seemed to have missed that.

Would [itex]H_{2}O_{2}[/itex] react with KI in the absence of any hydrogen ions?

The net equation would be [itex]2I^{-}+2K^{+}+2H^{+}+2Cl^{-}+H_{2}O_{2}\rightarrow I_{2} + 2KCl + 2H_{2}O[/itex] ?

Astrum said:
Would [itex]H_{2}O_{2}[/itex] react with KI in the absence of any hydrogen ions?

The net equation is correct. As soon as you use water as a solvent there will always be hydrogen ions around due to the autoprotolysis of water. I am not sure whether the reaction would also take place in an alkaline medium.

DrDu said:
I am not sure whether the reaction would also take place in an alkaline medium.

In alkaline solution of ##H_{2}O_{2}## the actual oxidant is the perhydroxyl ion ##HO^{-}_{2}##, for which we have the redox half-reaction

##HO^{-}_{2}+H_{2}O+2e^{-} \rightarrow 3OH^{-}## ##E^{0}## = +0.87 V

The redox potential is higher than that of iodine (+0.59 V), so the reaction should also happen in alkaline medium.

I'm wondering why the [itex]H_2O_2[/itex] doesn't oxidize the chlorine anion as an equal amount to the oxidation of iodide.

This process probably produces some amount of [itex]Cl_2[/itex].

Chloride is significantly harder to oxidize than iodide. Look up the redox potentials.

1. What is the chemical equation for the formation of elemental iodine from potassium iodide?

The chemical equation for this reaction is:
2KI + H2SO4 → I2 + K2SO4 + H2O

2. How does the reaction between potassium iodide and sulfuric acid produce elemental iodine?

The reaction between potassium iodide and sulfuric acid is an oxidation-reduction reaction. The sulfuric acid acts as an oxidizing agent, causing the potassium iodide to lose electrons and form elemental iodine.

3. Can the reaction between potassium iodide and sulfuric acid be reversed?

No, the reaction between potassium iodide and sulfuric acid is not reversible. Once the reaction has occurred and elemental iodine is formed, it cannot be converted back into its original components.

4. What is the purpose of using sulfuric acid in the production of elemental iodine from potassium iodide?

Sulfuric acid is used as a catalyst in this reaction. It helps to speed up the reaction and increase the yield of elemental iodine produced.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting this reaction in a laboratory setting?

Yes, it is important to handle both potassium iodide and sulfuric acid with caution as they can be corrosive and harmful if not handled properly. Appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn while conducting this reaction.