How can one get from one parallel universe to another?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of parallel universes and the possibility of traveling between them. However, there is currently no evidence for the existence of parallel universes and most physicists do not take the concept seriously. Some examples of parallel universes from science fiction are mentioned, but they are purely speculative. The conversation ends with the idea that what may seem like fiction today could become reality tomorrow.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Hi all,

This is an entirely new question, separate from the post I just asked. I am just learning about parallel universes, and am starting from scratch.

Is there any information about how to go between parallel universes? What are the physical barriers from doing so?

I know this is broad, but maybe a couple of simplistic examples would suffice.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Albertgauss said:
Hi all,

This is an entirely new question, separate from the post I just asked. I am just learning about parallel universes, and am starting from scratch.

Is there any information about how to go between parallel universes? What are the physical barriers from doing so?

Thanks

There is no information about going between. It is not a question of physical barriers - it is a question of no known connections, assuming they exist.

I think it involves a box with a potato and a switch marked West/East

arivero said:

You fiend! You have stolen my invention!

marcus said:
You fiend! You have stolen my invention!

I always suspected you were Willis Linsay. Not the real name, by the way.

Albertgauss said:
Hi all,

Thanks

Albert, the reason this thread has drifted off into frivolity is that there is absolutely NO evidence for parallel universes and most physicists (although not all) just don't take the concept seriously. Even if they DO exist, it is unlikely that there will be any way to detect them, much less figure out how to move between them (a concept that is unlikely to have any physical meaning anyway).

arivero said:

Is that book any good?

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Is that book any good?

Only for hard fans of Prachett (or Baxter). It is not another version of Discworld but another version of Ringworld (!), using "steps" across parallel universes instead of the original Ring and following the same scheme of a small tripulation exploring the long world. Some parts of the book sounds as the ones that Prachett labels "for young adults" (Nation, etc).

"NO evidence for parallel universes and most physicists (although not all) just don't take the concept seriously".

I didn't realize that. I suppose I'm a victim of hollywood here, and sci-fi writers love to use || universes so thought there was something behind them. I have seen lectures in grad school about branes and M-theory but if they are just pure conjecture at this point, its good to know. In a way its too bad, I was really looking to learn about them.

Albertgauss said:
"NO evidence for parallel universes and most physicists (although not all) just don't take the concept seriously".

I didn't realize that. I suppose I'm a victim of hollywood here, and sci-fi writers love to use || universes so thought there was something behind them. I have seen lectures in grad school about branes and M-theory but if they are just pure conjecture at this point, its good to know. In a way its too bad, I was really looking to learn about them.

Yesterday's dreams are tomorrow's reality.

1. How do parallel universes exist?

The existence of parallel universes is a theory in physics that suggests there are multiple versions of our universe, each with their own set of physical laws and properties. This theory is still being researched and is not yet proven.

2. Is it possible to travel between parallel universes?

There is currently no scientific evidence or technology that allows for travel between parallel universes. The concept is purely theoretical and remains a topic of debate among scientists.

3. What are some theories on how one could potentially travel between parallel universes?

Some theories suggest that traveling between parallel universes could be possible through wormholes, black holes, or advanced technology that can manipulate space and time. However, these are all speculative and have not been proven.

4. Are there any real-life examples of parallel universes?

Currently, there are no confirmed examples of parallel universes in our physical world. However, some scientists believe that the multiverse theory, which includes the idea of parallel universes, could help explain certain phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as the double-slit experiment.

5. Can we ever know for sure if parallel universes exist?

At this time, we do not have the technology or means to definitively prove the existence of parallel universes. It remains a topic of scientific research and speculation. However, as technology and our understanding of the universe advances, we may gain more insights into this concept.