M-Theory Strings: Impermanence and Decay Explored

• Thread starter WillyB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the conversation discusses the impermanence of strings in M-theory and their potential decay. The idea of strings being the fundamental unit of energy is debated, as well as the possibility of strings decaying into something else. The concept of string interactions and the role of branes is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a pondering on whether strings can dissipate energy and potentially disappear.
WillyB
Are the strings in M-Theory impermanent, do they decay for example?(I am not a physicist, curious from a philosophical perspective)

Physics news on Phys.org
How could strings decay if they are the fundamental unit of energy? What would they decay into? I would say string theory posits that strings are the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks. So, they are not subject to quantum fluctuation?

Thanks trimok. For some reason, when you mention the fracturing and melding of loops, the image I have is of the back side of a field. I'm starting to get the (mem)brane terminology. It seems impermanence applies only in the sense that the instance of a string form is constantly evolving. Still, I wonder if the loops themselves ever dissipate energy to the extent they pass out of existence. Perhaps branes pass out of interference in some way.

1. What is M-theory?

M-theory is a scientific theory that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe into a single framework. It is considered to be a candidate for the theory of everything, as it aims to explain the nature of reality at the smallest scales.

2. What are M-theory strings?

M-theory strings are the fundamental building blocks of the universe according to M-theory. They are tiny, vibrating one-dimensional objects that are thought to be the building blocks of all particles and forces in the universe.

3. How does M-theory explain impermanence and decay?

M-theory proposes that the universe is made up of multiple dimensions, and that these dimensions can change and shift over time. This constant change and decay is a fundamental part of the theory, as it allows for the impermanence of the universe.

4. What evidence supports M-theory strings?

There is currently no direct evidence for M-theory strings, as they are too small to be observed directly. However, there are several theoretical predictions that have been supported by experimental data, such as the existence of supersymmetry and the presence of extra dimensions.

5. What impact could M-theory have on our understanding of the universe?

If M-theory is proven to be correct, it would provide a unified framework for understanding all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. This could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements, as well as a deeper understanding of the nature of reality.