How Do You Calculate and Test the Properties of Hydrated Alum?

• Thread starter gunnar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chrome
In summary, when calculating the theoretical yield of an alum with water molecules attached, it is important to include the water molecules in the calculation. Allowing the alum solution to cool in a refrigerator results in a more reliable yield because the reaction goes more slowly. To test for waters of hydration in the alum, one can subtract the water molecules. The melting point of an alum may be lower than the actual melting point due to impurities.
gunnar
Hi. I got some questions I need to answer. Just to make sure I'm correct I would appreciate if someone could comment on my answers.

1. Q. When calculating the theoretical yield of an alum that has water molecules attached to the double salt. Are these included in the calculation?
A. I should include the water molecules.

2.Q. Why does is produce a more reliable yield to let an alum solution cool in a refrigerator.
A. The reaction goes more slowly.

3.Q.How can I test the alum for waters of hydration?
A. By subtracting the water molecules

4. Q.Why is the melting point of an alum lower than the actual melting point?
A. Not pure enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct but I am not sure about #3.

1. Comment: Yes, you are correct. Water molecules should be included in the calculation as they are a part of the compound and contribute to the overall yield.

2. Comment: Good job, you are correct. Allowing the reaction to cool slowly in a refrigerator helps to slow down the reaction and produce a more reliable yield.

3. Comment: To test for waters of hydration, you can heat the alum and observe any changes in mass. The loss of mass would indicate the loss of water molecules.

4. Comment: Your answer is partially correct. The impurities in the alum can also contribute to a lower melting point. To achieve the actual melting point, the alum must be pure.

1. What is Questions Chrome Alum?

Questions Chrome Alum is a type of chemical compound that is commonly used in various industries, such as photography, tanning, and water treatment. It is also known as potassium chromium sulfate and has the chemical formula KCr(SO4)2 · 12H2O.

2. How is Questions Chrome Alum made?

Questions Chrome Alum is made through a process called aluminothermic reaction, where aluminum is reacted with chromium sulfate in the presence of a reducing agent. This reaction produces molten chrome alum, which is then cooled and crystallized to form the final product.

3. What are the uses of Questions Chrome Alum?

Questions Chrome Alum has many uses in various industries. One of its main uses is as a mordant in the textile industry, where it helps to fix dyes onto fabrics. It is also used in the production of leather, as well as in the development of photographs and films. Additionally, it is used in water treatment to remove impurities and as a flame retardant in some fire extinguishers.

4. Is Questions Chrome Alum safe to use?

Questions Chrome Alum is considered safe to use in small amounts. However, it can be harmful if ingested or inhaled in large quantities. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling this chemical, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area.

5. Can Questions Chrome Alum be replaced with other compounds?

Yes, there are other compounds that can be used as a replacement for Questions Chrome Alum in certain applications. For example, aluminum sulfate can be used as a substitute for chrome alum in water treatment. However, in industries where chrome alum is used as a mordant or in photography, there may not be a suitable replacement available.