Christmas at Kmart (in September)

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary, Walmart and others are apparently about to follow suit. This Christmas creep is starting to get old.
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Here it is, 105 days until Christmas, and Kmart has already started bombarding us with Christmas ads. http://www.cnbc.com/id/101023738

Walmart and others are apparently about to follow suit. This Christmas creep is starting to get old.

Time for some old-fashioned Christmas music! (1978 is old-fashioned nowadays, isn't it?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't celebrate Christmas. I also don't have television. I think I might be on to something ;)

I've never understood the mad rush for material belongings. I'm much more excited about the excuse to cook a huge meal for my friends.

HayleySarg said:
I don't celebrate Christmas. I also don't have television. I think I might be on to something ;)

I've never understood the mad rush for material belongings. I'm much more excited about the excuse to cook a huge meal for my friends.

Hear, hear. Not having a TV is like giving yourself the gift of time. No one will be on their death bed thinking, "I wish I had watched more TV!"

lisab said:
Hear, hear. Not having a TV is like giving yourself the gift of time. No one will be on their death bed thinking, "I wish I had watched more TV!"
I heartily agree. I still have a TV (an old CRT clunker) because I'm a news junky. One hour a day gone that way, but that's about it. Rarely, I will toss in a movie on DVD - generally when the weather is really crappy out. I could survive comfortably with no TV, but I do like to have local breaking news and local weather every evening. Maine weather is so hard to forecast.

Oh I guess I should say I do have a TV. But I don't watch television. I'm a video game junkie. Plus I enjoy buying documentaries and watching them, or occasionally watching things on netflix. But I've avoided mainstream advertisements like the plague.

So, what IS with this push towards early x-mas consumerism? Does anyone forecast we'll have a push against it? Or in 10 years will we be thinking about pre pre pre-holiday season shopping in May?

At least the purveyors of Christmas junk seem unable to make ad-buys during the news hour, so I'm safe so far. Christmas creep is a disgusting thing. If it creeps into my news-hour, no news for me.

My grocery store started putting out Halloween stuff at the end beginning of August.

Soon Christmas advertisements will be seen for 9 months out of the year. =\

Evo said:
My grocery store started putting out Halloween stuff at the end beginning of August.
My wife sometimes likes to watch NCIS and SVU when she gets home, and those cable shows have been inundated with Halloween-crap for well over a month. Who needs to know what store has cheap costumes and $0.99 accessories 3 months in advance?

1. What is "Christmas at Kmart (in September)"?

"Christmas at Kmart (in September)" is a marketing campaign by Kmart where they start promoting and selling Christmas merchandise in September, rather than waiting until closer to the actual holiday in December.

2. Why does Kmart start celebrating Christmas in September?

Kmart starts celebrating Christmas in September because they want to get ahead of their competitors and attract customers who may want to get a head start on their holiday shopping. It also allows them to spread out holiday sales and avoid a rush of shoppers in December.

3. Is "Christmas at Kmart (in September)" a new concept?

No, "Christmas at Kmart (in September)" has been a tradition for Kmart since the 1980s. They were one of the first retailers to start promoting Christmas in September.

4. What kind of Christmas merchandise can I expect to find at Kmart in September?

Kmart typically offers a wide range of Christmas merchandise in September, including decorations, ornaments, holiday-themed apparel, and gifts. They also have sales and deals on popular toys and electronics for gift-giving.

5. Are there any benefits to shopping for Christmas merchandise at Kmart in September?

Yes, there are several benefits to shopping for Christmas merchandise at Kmart in September. You can take advantage of early sales and promotions, avoid the holiday rush, and have a wider selection to choose from. Plus, you can get a head start on your holiday shopping and potentially save money by spreading out your purchases over a few months.