Varying thermal conductivity with length

In summary, the conversation discusses modeling a system where the material varies along its length and its conductivity coefficient is a function of both temperature and position. The heat diffusion equation is considered, and it is noted that the correct equation should include the heat capacity, density, and conductivity of the material. The equation for steady-state is also mentioned, and an example with a specific function for k(x,T) is discussed. The conversation ends with a clarification on the reference point for x.
j_phillips
I'm interested in modeling a system where the material varies along its length, thus the conductivity coefficient would be a function of both T, and x. k(T,x). For starters, if I assume negligible change w.r.t T, then he heat diffusion equation would be d/dt(k(x)dT/dx)=0. Correct? What if k just equals x (ie. linear)

I'm a little rusty with this solution. Any help?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
j_phillips said:
I'm interested in modeling a system where the material varies along its length, thus the conductivity coefficient would be a function of both T, and x. k(T,x). For starters, if I assume negligible change w.r.t T, then he heat diffusion equation would be d/dt(k(x)dT/dx)=0. Correct? What if k just equals x (ie. linear)

Thanks.
Hi j_phillips. Welcome to physics forums!
In your equation, what does the lower case t represent? Is this supposed to be a steady state problem, or an unsteady state problem?

Chet

j_phillips said:

Thanks.

That's not the correct equation. It should be

[tex]C \rho\frac{\partial}{\partial t}T =\frac{\partial}{\partial x} k(x,T)\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T,[/tex]
where [itex]C, \rho,[/itex] and [itex] k [/itex] are the heat capacity, density, and conductivity of the material

I appreciate the welcome!

This would be steady-state so the right side of the equation would go to zero. If k=x, then d/dx(k) would equal a constant K, but then there is t d/dx*T term which would be unaccounted for?

Instead of a constant (K), let's say k(x,T)=100+cos(2x) for 0<x<(pi/2) (I'm just trying to liven up the problem.) then d'K=-2*sin(2x) then 0=2*sin(2x)*d/dx(T)?

So the equation you are solving is:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left(k(x)\frac{dT}{d x}\right)=0[/tex]
Integrating this once with respect to x gives:
[tex]k(x)\frac{dT}{d x}=C[/tex]
where C is minus the (constant) heat flux.
Integrating again gives:
[tex]T=C\int_0^x{\frac{dζ}{k(ζ)}}+T(0)[/tex]
where ζ is a dummy variable of integration. If the temperature is specified at x = 0 and x = L, that is enough information to get the heat flux C.

Chet

j_phillips said:
I appreciate the welcome!

This would be steady-state so the right side of the equation would go to zero. If k=x, then d/dx(k) would equal a constant K, but then there is t d/dx*T term which would be unaccounted for?

Instead of a constant (K), let's say k(x,T)=100+cos(2x) for 0<x<(pi/2) (I'm just trying to liven up the problem.) then d'K=-2*sin(2x) then 0=2*sin(2x)*d/dx(T)?

For a steady state the equation becomes
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} k(x,T)\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T = 0[/tex]
[tex]k(x,T)\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T = A[/tex]
Where A is some constant.
If k = x then
[tex]x\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T = A[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T = \frac{A}{x}[/tex]
[tex]T = A ln(x) + B[/tex]

Chestermiller beat me to the punch, except that his solution assumes x=0 as the reference point. That doesn't work for that specific problem because k(x) would be zero there.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

1. How does the thermal conductivity vary with length?

The thermal conductivity of a material typically decreases with increasing length. This is due to the fact that longer lengths of a material allow for more opportunities for heat to dissipate, resulting in a lower overall thermal conductivity.

2. What is the relationship between thermal conductivity and length?

The relationship between thermal conductivity and length is inverse. As the length of a material increases, the thermal conductivity decreases.

3. Can thermal conductivity be manipulated by changing the length of a material?

Yes, thermal conductivity can be manipulated by changing the length of a material. Shorter lengths will result in higher thermal conductivity, while longer lengths will result in lower thermal conductivity.

4. How does varying thermal conductivity with length affect heat transfer?

Varying thermal conductivity with length can significantly impact heat transfer. Materials with longer lengths and lower thermal conductivity will have a slower rate of heat transfer, while materials with shorter lengths and higher thermal conductivity will have a faster rate of heat transfer.

5. What factors can affect the relationship between thermal conductivity and length?

The relationship between thermal conductivity and length can be affected by factors such as the type of material, its composition, and its physical properties. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also impact this relationship.