Understanding Ultrarelativistic Speeds and Their Boundaries

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, a relativistic speed is one that is close to the speed of light, while an ultrarelativistic speed is much faster. We make relativistic corrections for particles in a particle accelerator, but not for billiard balls on a billiard table. Ah, Ok.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
So I read the Wiki entry, and from what i gather ultrarelativitic speeds are speeds that almost the speed of light (I mean $$\gamma >>1$$ is the same as $$v \to c$$).

Now what is the boundary where where you regard a particle's speed as ultrarelativitic compare to nonrelativitc speeds.

Is $$v \geq 0.9c$$ regarded as ultra (I guess that it is), but then what about speeds such as 0.8c, 0.7c etc?

My naive notion was that the lowest boundary is 0.5c that below this we would have nonrelativitic speeds, but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no "official" definition for "nonrelativistic speed." To me, it means, "slow enough that relativistic equations give results indistinguishable from classical equations, for whatever amount of accuracy you want." You have to decide whether you want 1% accuracy, or 0.1% accuracy, etc.

Ah, Ok.

How do you decide what type of accuracy you need, can you give an experimental example?

It seems quite arbitrary, doesn't it?

I wonder also for technological reasons, cause I assume that engineers use relativistic corrections.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Ah, Ok.
How do you decide what type of accuracy you need, can you give an experimental example?
We make relativistic corrections for particles in a particle accelerator, but not for billiard balls on a billiard table.

No more arbitrary than choosing to measure the distance between cities to the nearest kilometer but the distance between features on an integrated circuit to the nearest nanometer.

cause I assume that engineers use relativistic corrections.

Very very seldom. The engineering of the GPS system and large particle accelerators requires relativistic corrections, but there aren't many more examples.

So I read the Wiki entry, and from what i gather ultrarelativitic speeds are speeds that almost the speed of light (I mean $$\gamma >>1$$ is the same as $$v \to c$$).

Some people divide things into three categories, based on momentum rather than speed; something like this, where ##p## is momentum and ##m## is rest mass (using units where c = 1, so momentum and mass have the same units):

Nonrelativistic: ##p << m##

Relativistic: ##p \approx m##

Ultrarelativistic: ##p >> m##

Since ##p = \gamma m v##, we can express this in terms of speed ##v## as follows (using ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2}##):

Nonrelativistic: ##v << \sqrt{1 - v^2}##

Relativistic: ##v \approx \sqrt{1 - v^2}##

Ultrarelativistic: ##v >> \sqrt{1 - v^2}##

From this we can see that the "relativistic" regime is around ##v = 1 / \sqrt{2} \approx 0.707##; speeds much smaller than that are nonrelativistic, and speeds much larger than that are ultrarelativistic.

Likes 1 person

You look at the velocity scale of the system using dimensionless quantities. For GR and SR purposes you can use fundamental constants, characteristic time scales and characteristic length scales to build dimensionless constants ##\hat{c}## and ##\hat{G}## that respectively characterize the velocity scale and scale of self-gravitation of a system.

No it comes right out of the velocity scale of the system. Characteristic length scales and time scales and characteristic couplings and all scales derived from them dictate all of our approximation regimes. This is ubiquitous throughout physics although conceptually complicated in QM and QFT whereas conceptually simple in classical physics.

So I read the Wiki entry, and from what i gather ultrarelativitic speeds...
I did a search on "ultrarelativitic speed" in wikipedia and it said "There were no results matching the query".

For "ultrarelativistic" I tend to think in terms of energy, because my background is in particle physics. If the rest-energy E0 of a particle (corresponding to its rest mass via E0 = m0c2) is much smaller than its kinetic energy (or also its total energy, kinetic + rest), then I consider it to be "ultrarelativistic" rather than merely "relativistic."

A proton has a rest-energy of about 1 GeV, so I would consider a proton with 5 or 10 GeV energy to be "relativistic", but one with 100 or 1000 GeV to be "ultrarelativistic."

1. What are ultrarelativistic speeds?

Ultrarelativistic speeds refer to speeds that are close to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. At these speeds, objects experience significant time dilation and length contraction according to Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. What is the fastest known ultrarelativistic speed?

The fastest known ultrarelativistic speed is the speed of light, which is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. No object with mass can reach or exceed this speed.

3. What are the boundaries for ultrarelativistic speeds?

The boundaries for ultrarelativistic speeds are determined by the laws of physics, specifically by Einstein's theory of relativity. These boundaries include the speed of light, which is the upper limit, and any speed below it can be considered as ultrarelativistic.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

5. How do ultrarelativistic speeds impact space and time?

At ultrarelativistic speeds, space and time become highly distorted. Time dilation, where time passes slower for objects traveling at high speeds, and length contraction, where objects appear to be shorter in the direction of motion, are observed. These effects have been experimentally verified and are crucial for understanding the behavior of objects traveling at ultrarelativistic speeds.