Find charge q of particle passing through charged plates

In summary, an inkjet printer uses a charging unit to give positive charge to ink drops, which then pass through a uniform vertical electric field before reaching the paper. Using equations of motion, the magnitude of charge needed to deflect a drop by a certain distance can be calculated.
SchrodingersMu
In an inkjet printer, letters are built up by squirting drops of ink at the paper from a rapidly moving nozzle. The ink drops, which have a mass of 1.3 10-8 g each, leave the nozzle and travel toward the paper at 21 m/s, passing through a charging unit that gives each drop a positive charge q by removing some electrons from it. The drops then pass between parallel deflecting plates 2.0 cm long where there is a uniform vertical electric field with magnitude 7.7 104 N/C. If a drop is to be deflected 0.35 mm by the time it reaches the end of the deflection plates, what magnitude of charge must be given to the drop?

So, I know that F= E*q=m*a
I can solve for t, . I still don't know a, the acceleration, or vfinal of y either. I was thinking of solving for vfy by using dy=vi+vf/2 * t.

Either way, I keep getting the wrong answers. They are supposed to be about ^-13.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of your numbers and formulae are hard to understand with typos, I think. But you seem to be on the right track.

You do know a in terms of q.

What other kinematic formulae do you know?

Here is what I can deduce the data from OP
Mass of a drop ,m = 1.3e-8 g = 1.3e-11kg
Deflection , y = .35mm = 3.5e-4 m
Length of the plate ,l = 2cm = 2e-2m,
Velocity of the drop = 21m/s
E = 7.7e4.
Here's the solution,
[itex]a_{y} = \frac{qE}{m}[/itex] ( Since F = qE )
Let t be the time required for the drop to pass the region and deflect,
y = [itex]\frac{1}{2}a_{y}t^{2}[/itex] ... (1)
l = vt
∴ t = [itex]\frac{l}{v}[/itex]
Substituting for t and a in (1) , we get,
y = [itex]\frac{qEl^{2} }{2mv^{2}}[/itex]
Solving for q,
q = 1.30e-13 = 1.3[itex]\times[/itex]10-13
Note : the notation xey means x [itex]\times[/itex] 10 y

Sorry about the typos guys!
So, we can solve for t, even though the velocity is mostly in the x direction, because the time is the same for the x and y components of motion, right?
ALso, eq(1) would have originally been y= initial y position + velocity in y * time + (acceleration stuff), but the y velocity component is 0 initially, right?

Eventually, we have velocity in thr y direction, though, so why does eq(1) work? From what I see, it says the velocity in the y direction is always 0.

The answer is absolutely correct; I;m just trying to understand the answers both of you gave. I appreciate this very much. This is better feedback than my prof gives.

Last edited:
I did this one by accident, so I'll make a cat to not waste the post

=^O_O^=

SchrodingersMu said:
Sorry about the typos guys!
So, we can solve for t, even though the velocity is mostly in the x direction, because the time is the same for the x and y components of motion, right?
ALso, eq(1) would have originally been y= initial y position + velocity in y * time + (acceleration stuff), but the y velocity component is 0 initially, right?

Eventually, we have velocity in thr y direction, though, so why does eq(1) work? From what I see, it says the velocity in the y direction is always 0.

The answer is absolutely correct; I;m just trying to understand the answers both of you gave. I appreciate this very much. This is better feedback than my prof gives.

The velocity is in the x direction , this is anologous to projectile motion , if you fire in the horizontal direction , the horizontal velocity is unaffected by gravity but the vertical component is affected by gravity so in this case the drop moving across the plates in the x-axis is deflected in the y-axis due to the vertical field.
The equation 1 works because acceleration is constant through out the motion.
If you still have doubts about the equation recall how it is derived.
ds = v.dt ,(now, since v - u= at and u = 0)
ds = at.dt , integrating both sides we get our equation.
Hope that clear things up.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the charge q of a particle passing through charged plates?

The charge q of a particle can be calculated by using the formula q = m (v/d) E, where m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, d is the distance between the plates, and E is the electric field strength between the plates. This formula is derived from the equation F = qE, where F is the force exerted on the particle by the electric field.

2. Can the charge q of a particle be negative?

Yes, the charge q of a particle can be negative. This indicates that the particle has an opposite charge to that of the plates it is passing through. For example, if the plates have a positive charge, a particle with a negative charge will experience a force in the opposite direction as it passes through the plates.

3. What factors affect the charge q of a particle passing through charged plates?

The charge q of a particle passing through charged plates is affected by several factors, including the electric field strength between the plates, the mass and velocity of the particle, and the distance between the plates. Additionally, the charge of the plates themselves can also impact the charge q of the particle.

4. How does the charge of the plates affect the charge q of the particle?

The charge of the plates can affect the charge q of the particle by influencing the strength and direction of the electric field between the plates. If the plates have the same charge, the electric field will be repulsive and may cause the particle to accelerate. If the plates have opposite charges, the electric field will be attractive and may cause the particle to decelerate.

5. Is the charge q of a particle constant as it passes through the charged plates?

No, the charge q of a particle passing through charged plates may change depending on the dynamics of the system. For example, if the particle is experiencing a force due to the electric field between the plates, its velocity may change, resulting in a change in the charge q. Additionally, if the plates are charged differently, the charge q of the particle may also change as it moves between the plates.